ESU Fall 2020 Return to Campus Face Mask Policy
Our goal is to be safe, healthy and stay in a face-to-face environment
ESU FACE MASK POLICY
Effective June 11, 2020
At Emporia State University, we wear face masks for each other.
Faculty, staff, students, vendors and visitors are required to wear a face mask while in campus buildings. They must also be worn in outdoor settings where safe social distancing is not possible. The following in-building exceptions apply:
- Employees working alone in their offices
- Students in their residence hall room
- While participating in activities in which a face mask cannot be worn, or would prohibit respiratory function (like eating, drinking, playing a musical instrument or singing, playing sports)
- Individuals with a recognized disability and have an accommodation that prevents the wearing of a mask.
FACE MASK BEST PRACTICES
Masking for a friend
Follow these best practice guidelines to mask well, because face masks are only effective if they are handled, worn and stored properly.
- Cloth masks should have more than one layer of fabric and should adhere to CDC mask guidelines.
- Wear it well. Make sure your mask fits snugly around your face, without gaps and covers from just under the bridge of your nose to under your chin.
- When you take it off…Always store your mask in a clean place or in a paper bag when it is off.
- Keep it clean! Wash and dry your cloth mask after each wearing, making sure the mask remains snug.
- Be a good mask handler. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) to reduce cross-contamination anytime you handle your mask.
- The outside of the mask should always be considered dirty, so don’t touch the outside or lower it below your nose/chin.
- Do more than mask. Wearing a mask works best in combination with hand washing (20 seconds!), proper hand, cough and sneeze hygiene and social distancing (6 feet ). And avoid touching your face.
HOUSEKEEPING + GROUND RULES
- Masks provided. Two washable ESU cloth face masks will be supplied (via USPS) to on-campus employees in early July. Masks will also be available for student employees at that time (contact HR for mask needs).
- Extra masks. Supervisors will have disposable masks for employees who are on campus before their ESU masks are received in the mail.
- Keep it Black + Gold! Employee masks should not bear the emblems of other universities.
- Documented accommodation. Employees with known documented health issues that prohibit the wearing of masks should contact Human Resources (620-341-5379) for a formal accommodation. Students should contact Student Accessibility and Support Services (620-341-6637).
- Alternate service delivery (i.e. virtual meetings, location change) will be arranged for those who are unable to wear an appropriate mask.
- Supervisors are responsible for holding employees accountable for wearing masks. Employees not wearing, or wearing an improper mask, will be asked to go home and return with an acceptable mask.