October 2, 2020: Spring 2021 Calendar Changes + Finishing Fall Strong
Communication from David Cordle, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
October 2, 2020
Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
I’m writing today to inform you of adjustments to the Spring 2021 academic calendar, and to summarize some important dates as we finish out fall semester.
Spring 2021 Calendar Changes
The following changes follow the advice of student and faculty leadership and the approval of the Kansas Board of Regents:
- Monday, January 25 — First class day
- No spring break in March
- Friday, March 5 — No classes
- Friday, April 16 — No classes
By delaying the semester’s start date from January 20 to January 25 and forgoing spring break, we hope to decrease the possibility of COVID-19 outbreaks on campus. The non-class days on March 5 and April 16 will hopefully make up somewhat for the loss of spring break. These two dates are also non-class days for Emporia Public Schools.
These changes won’t affect the semester’s end. May 7 is still the last class day, and final exams are still scheduled for May 10-14.
Please note that residence halls will reopen as planned on January 17. Residential Life will communicate directly with residents about the procedures for moving back in.
Finishing Fall 2020
No further changes are planned for the Fall 2020 academic calendar, but please be aware of these key dates for the remainder of the semester:
- Wednesday, October 7 — Course schedule for spring semester is available
- No fall break in October
- Monday, October 12 — Staggered enrollment begins on this schedule:
- Monday, October 12 at 12:01 a.m. — graduate, senior, second bachelor and non-degree-seeking graduate students
- Tuesday, October 13 at 12:01 a.m. — junior and sophomore students
- Wednesday, October 14 at 12:01 a.m. — all remaining students
- Tuesday, October 13 — Midterms due
- Friday, October 23 — Last day to withdraw from full-semester classes and last day to drop second-block classes
- Wednesday, November 11 — Veterans Day holiday (no classes, campus is closed)
- Friday, November 20 — last day for face-to-face classes on campus
- Monday, November 23 through Wednesday, November 25 — no classes, campus is open
- Thursday, November 26 and Friday, November 27 — Thanksgiving break (no classes, campus is closed)
- Monday, November 30 — classes resume all-online (campus offices open)
- Monday, December 7 through Friday, December 11 — final exams all-online
Thank you for your patience and resilience as we work together to have a safe and successful 2020-21 academic year.
With Hornet Pride,
David P. Cordle
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs