March 20, 2020: ASG Information for Students
Communication from ASG Senators Paul Frost + Victoria Goetzinger
March 20, 2020
Dear Hornet Nation,
Due to COVID-19, Associated Student Government (ASG) operations have been modified to meet new guidelines from the CDC and Emporia State University. President Frost signed Executive Order 20-01 into effect, which allows ASG to adapt for the remainder of the Spring semester. Here are critical updates for you all:
- Free Legal Counseling: The ASG legal consultant, Ted Hollembeak, is available to meet virtually with students. Please email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time. Please remember that Ted will provide advice and help you navigate legal issues, but he cannot represent students in court.
- New Info - Corky’s Cupboard: To continue supporting the Menstrual Product Initiative, products will be available along with pre-packaged food at the Student Wellness Center, 250 Southeast Morse Hall, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students will need to present their student ID at the front desk.
- Senate Meetings: The open Senate meeting on March 26 has been cancelled. Our remaining meetings will be held virtually. We will send out a link as the date approaches for those who would like to watch. Your Senators will remain in office until the session closes. You can find your representatives here.
- 2020-2021 Allocations: The Student Senate will vote on SB 20042 on April 9. A representative from the organization will not be required to attend virtually. The President and Treasurer listed on Hornet Life will be updated on approved allocation amounts.
- RSO Travel: In alignment with ESU’s preventative approach, effective immediately all university-sponsored domestic and international travel is to be discontinued until further notice. Please contact Anna Dragoo at email@example.com if your RSO has questions about cancelling trips.
- Recognition/Re-recognition Process: All Potential Student Organizations (PSOs) that have begun the process will be able to complete the process this semester. PSOs that had not begun the process as of March 6th can start the process in the fall. Please refer to the ASG FAQ section for more information.
- Re-registration & Community Service Hours: The RSO re-registration process will remain the same beginning on April 6 and ending April 17 at 5pm. The community service requirement will be waived for this year. We value the work you all have done this semester and will allow all hours from this year to roll over into next year.
- Educational Opportunity Fund & James Hirsch Scholarship: The selection committees will meet virtually and recipients will be contacted electronically in late April.
- Love Your Campus Mini Grants: Funds may be rolled over into next school year to complete projects. Treasurer Anderson will reach out to awardees with more specific information.
We are continuing to look for ways to support students through these challenging times. ASG has created a Student Emergency Support crowdfunding page through the ESU Foundation, so if you or anyone you know is able to donate please do so here. You may also share the link among your networks to help fellow Hornets.
A quick note about classes for the remainder of the semester. On Monday, all courses resume through remote teaching. If you have not completed a tech check for your classes, you’ll want to do that now. Information Technology can help, but they could be very busy next week.
Finally, to seniors. Please remember that, even though we won’t be walking in May, we will still graduate if we have completed all of our courses.
As always, we appreciate your adaptability. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
With Hornet Pride,
Paul Frost + Victoria Goetzinger