March 17, 2020: Message to students residing in residence halls regarding closure procedures
Communication from Cass Coughlin, Director of Residential Life
March 17, 2020
As of today, March 17, Emporia State University has officially canceled in-class instruction for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. All remaining coursework will continue remotely. Visit www.emporia.edu/covid19 to view the entire communication.
ESU’s announcement summarized how this unprecedented decision impacts other areas of campus life this semester. I am sending this message to outline specifics related to your housing and meal plan.
- Closure of ESU Campus Housing and Dining: All residence halls are closing for the remainder of the spring semester. This process will begin Saturday, March 21, and end Wednesday, April 1. Please see details below for impacts and processes related to the residence halls closing. Occupancy in all residence halls will end on or before 5:00pm on Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
- Residence Hall Checkout Process: Residential Life has developed a highly structured move-out process to facilitate checkout in a way that best complies with CDC/KDHE guidelines. This process requires each resident to call us to schedule a checkout date and time. Do not arrive on campus to complete the checkout process without scheduling a time through Residential Life!
Call 620-341-5264 to schedule your checkout date and time. Our phone lines will be open March 18 – March 20, 8am-12pm, and 1pm-5pm. To help us best serve all our residents, we have identified call-in times for each building/area:
Singular & Trusler Halls: 8:00am – 10:00am
North & South Tower: 10:00am – 12:00pm; 1:00pm – 2:00pm
Schallenkamp Hall: 2:00pm – 5:00pm
- Items known as this time related to our structured checkout process:
a) Resident and Staff Safety: Social distancing and sanitization will be major priorities of ESU’s checkout process. This requires us to limit the number of checkouts in a given time period, to expect that residents bring no more than one or two guests to assist, and to complete a simplified express checkout process.
b) Scheduling Your Checkout: Please call 620-341-5264 this week to make your appointment (first come, first served).
Two Checkout Options: You will have two options for the timing of your checkout.
1) First option: Call the number provided to schedule a date/time during the March 21 – April 1, 2020, timeframe to remove all personal belongings, return your room key, and complete the checkout process. Residential Life staff will guide you through this process when you call. Please bear with us as we expect a high call volume. You can help by calling during the assigned call-in time for your building.
2) Second option: You call the number provided and advise you will complete your checkout at a later date when CDC/KDHE recommend the resumption of typical day-to-day activities. Residential Life will communicate further details on this option as CDC/KDHE recommendations evolve.
- Exceptional Cases: Some residents may have circumstances that require continued campus housing beyond April 1, 2020. Residential Life has developed a process to review exceptional cases and determine when continued housing on campus is absolutely necessary. Contact Cass Coughlin at email@example.com for more information on this process. You must contact Cass on or before 5:00pm on Monday, March 23, to request approval of an exceptional case. Upon receipt of your request, you will be sent an online form to complete. Information provided in your request is subject to FERPA and will receive review and response with confidentiality and privacy.
- Housing and Meal Plan Refunds: Emporia State plans to refund room and board on a prorated basis to students who live in the residence halls. We are working on a process for the refunds now. Once that is in place, the refunds will be deposited into student accounts. The funds will be applied to any balances in the account before being refunded to the student.
This is not the Spring 2020 semester any of us imagined. Thank you for your continued input, understanding, and patience.
Cass Coughlin (he/him)
Director for Residential Life