Community Counseling Services
Community Counseling Services
Community Counseling Services (CCS) provides affordable counseling for individuals, couples, families, and groups in a professional, quiet, and confidential setting for residents of Emporia and surrounding communities. Services are provided by advanced graduate students in training under the supervision of experienced faculty with counseling, research, and supervisory expertise.
Community Counseling Services (CCS) mission is twofold:
- To provide supervised counseling opportunities for advanced graduate students.
- To provide affordable and confidential counseling to residents of Emporia and surrounding communities.
Counseling Services Offered
Community Counseling Services (CCS) offers a variety of counseling services that can assist individuals in improving the quality of their lives. Individual, couple, family, and group counseling is available. Some of the counseling services offered are:
When appropriate, referrals to other mental health providers are made. Such referrals are routinely made for clients in crisis, or those with active psychosis. No emergency-type services are provided.
Group Counseling Opportunities
- Depression Support Group - For individuals experiencing symptoms of depression, having difficulty in life, or needing additional support.
- HOPE Group - For individuals living with an acquired brain injury (i.e. head injury, trauma, or stroke) and those who experience similar neurological challenges.
- Parenting Group - For individuals wanting to learn skills that make life with children easier and more satisfying. Join our workshop series entitled, "Active Parenting Now". This 6-week group will give you practical and effective methods of communication with children that will make your relationship with children of all ages less stressful and more rewarding.
- Seeking Safety - For female participants wanting to address symptoms of trauma and addiction simultaneously. The group is present-focused and offers coping skills/mechanisms to reduce anger outbursts, anxiety, nightmares, hyper-vigilance, and racing thoughts. 24 lessons/topics are discussed to address trauma recovery and addiction issues.
Community Counseling Services (CCS) provides practical experiences for advanced graduate students in training through Emporia State University. All graduate students providing counseling services have completed appropriate graduate-level course work in their preparation for a master’s degree in counseling. All counselors-in-training are supervised by licensed and experienced faculty with counseling, research, and supervisory expertise.
Training Facility & Confidentiality
Because Community Counseling Services (CCS) is a training facility, counselors are required to record all sessions and/or be observed electronically by a faculty supervisor. Strict confidentiality guidelines are followed for all client records, recordings, and communications. All client notes and recordings are kept in a locked file cabinet, which is accessible only to faculty and CCS staff. Counselors are not permitted to counsel individuals with whom they are personally acquainted, or to be involved in any observations or discussions of clients with whom they are personally acquainted. Student counselors are informed that any violation of confidentiality is grounds for removal from the program.
Scheduling An Appointment
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please call 620.341.5799. After gathering preliminary information, an appointment can usually be scheduled within a few days.
It is important that individuals desiring services arrive on time for scheduled appointments in order to continue seeing a Community Counseling Services (CCS) counselor. If an appointment needs to be cancelled, please notify CCS within 24 hours before the scheduled appointment at 620.341.5799.
Hours of Operation
Community Counseling Services (CCS) is available for appointments during the following hours, except during university holidays and semester breaks.
|Monday||1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
|Monday||12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
Community Counseling Services (CCS) is housed in The Earl Center at 1601 State Street in Emporia, KS. The CCS office is located on the upper level, room #236, of The Earl Center. If you have any questions about Community Counseling Services, or if you would like to set up an appointment, please call 620.341.5799.
Parking is free of charge and available in the parking lot surrounding The Earl Center.