Skip to content
Toggle Left Side Navigation



In-State Travel

Out-of-State Travel 

State Travel Center 

Airline Travel 

MCI Parking 

State Vehicles 

Accident Reporting Requirements 

15-Passenger Van Policy 

Rental Car and Other Travel Services 

Conference Registration 

Hotel/Motel Reservations  

Meals/Per Diem 

Travel Reimbursement

University Policy Manual



The University may reimburse employees, within prescribed limitations, for all necessary and actual travel expenses incurred during travel on official state business. Travel may be to fulfill official duties or other professional or educational activities benefiting the University. If questions arise regarding travel, contact Accounts Payable at x 5209.

The attendance by state employees at funerals is not authorized as official state business and a state vehicle may not be used to attend a funeral. Employees will not receive reimbursement for use of a private vehicle.

Back to top of page


In-state travel can be approved verbally by the employee's supervisor or the head of the budgetary unit. Reimbursement will be in accordance with the policies and rates established by the Kansas Department of Administration Division of Accounts and Reports in the booklet on travel polices titled Employee Travel Expense Reimbursement Handbook  Meals will not be reimbursed without an overnight stay. No reimbursement will be made if lodging and/or meal expenses are incurred within 30 miles of home or Emporia State University.

Back to top of page

3H.02 OUT-OF-STATE TRAVEL                                       

All employees should complete and submit a Travel Request form via OnBase (http://artemis/files/SitePages/ESU%20Travel%20LaunchPad.aspx) if traveling outside of the state of Kansas, regardless of the intent to request reimbursement for official Out-of-State travel.  This form should be completed prior to the set travel date.  Once the Travel Request has been submitted, it will be routed through to the appropriate departments for approval.  Once all required signatures have been attached to the form, the Travel Request is considered to be approved.  The Travel Request will then sit in the “AP Travel Reimbursement” queue until the trip is complete.  At that point, the Travel Reimbursement form can be completed and submitted for reimbursement.  Travel will be reimbursed according to policies established by the State and Emporia State University.  The total amount to be reimbursed can be limited by the department. Airline, hotel reservations, and car rental may be made through the State Travel Center by calling 1-800-255-3507.

Back to top of page


Using the State Travel Center is optional. The State of Kansas has contracted with Shorts Travel Management to operate the State Travel Center: 

State Travel Center -- 785-272-7511 or toll-free 1-800-255-3507

(After hours emergency numbers and access codes are listed at the bottom of the itinerary.)

If the State Travel Center is used, ticket transaction fees will be assessed.

Back to top of page


To make domestic airline reservations, the traveler may contact the State Travel Center or may book reservations through any other source using a personal credit card or by calling the ESU Business Office and using the University’s Business Travel Account (BTA) card.  Using the BTA will reduce University liability if tickets are cancelled due to bankruptcy or if the airline ceases operation.  Visa provides $500,000 travel accident insurance coverage when used for the purchase of air or rail tickets.

For airfare charged to personal credit cards, travelers will not be reimbursed prior to the completion of the related travel. In addition, the travel expense request must be submitted and approved prior to travel for the traveler to be reimbursed.   When charging airfare to a personal credit card, the expense will be charged to the same fiscal year as all other expenses related to the trip. The only way a department may have an airline ticket paid out of the fiscal year prior to the trip is by using the University’s BTA card.

Travelers should allow a two-hour time window on either side of their requested departure and return time whenever possible in order to allow flexibility in searching for the lowest available fare.

Back to top of page


When flying from MCI & ICT, travelers must use the least expensive parking option available, which is economy parking at MCI and Park & Ride at ICT. If a more expensive parking lot is used, the traveler can claim only the cost of economy or Park & Ride parking, currently set at $7.50/day at MCI and $8/day at ICT.

Back to top of page


The University maintains a fleet of vehicles for use by University personnel as needed. The University maintains liability insurance only. No medical insurance is carried on the driver or passengers. Departments are billed for the usage of these vehicles on a per mile basis plus any turnpike tolls charged on the K-Tag assigned to each vehicle.

Employees are expected to use the state motor pool vehicles for official state business.

The motor pool consists of the following vehicles and rates, effective July 13, 2016:

13 Automobiles (5- 6 passenger) –$0.60 per mile

4 Minivan (7 passenger) –$0.67 per mile

2 Vans, 15-passenger (12 passenger capacity) –$0.77 per mile

In an effort to avoid reservations being made and not utilized, there is a “no cancellation fee”.  If a reservation is not canceled prior to four hours after the beginning time of the reservation a "no cancellation fee" will be added to the monthly bill in most circumstances.  The fees are $15 for autos and $20 for both minivans and 15-passenger vans.  Once the four-hour window has passed and the vehicle reservation has not been canceled or picked up by the driver, the “no cancellation fee” is   automatically charged to the department and the reservation is ended.  At that point the vehicle will be available for another reservation.

State policy allows an employee to use a state-owned vehicle for commuting between the employee’s residence and the employee’s official work station only on the evening of the work day immediately preceding the date of travel or on the evening of the work day in which travel is completed.  Driving the vehicle home may not increase the total one-way trip mileage between the official work station and the destination by more than 10 miles. 

An employee’s commuting use of a state-owned vehicle is a taxable fringe benefit.  The taxable fringe benefit income is $1.50 per one-way trip and must be reported on a W-2.  To report the commuting use of a state-owned vehicle, complete the Statement of Personal Usage form and send to the Controller’s Office.  It is University policy to discourage the keeping of a University vehicle overnight at an individual’s place of residence.  Vehicles may be picked up and returned to the motor pool 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Only the driver in whose name the vehicle is reserved will be allowed to pick up a vehicle. All state vehicles are picked up at the east door of the Power Plant. The Power Plant personnel will require the driver to sign a reservation form. Vehicles should be returned to the Power Plant and parked in the spaces reserved for state vehicles on the east side of the Power Plant. Return the keys, credit card, any turnpike or gasoline receipts, and the ending mileage to a Power Plant employee.

Each car is issued a credit card that is to be used only for expenses related to the state car to which it is assigned.  Under no circumstances is it to be used to purchase gasoline or other products for a private vehicle.  The date and time the vehicle was returned and the ending mileage should be recorded by the Power Plant employee. If the driver uses any personal funds to pay for gasoline, oil, or other expenses related to the state vehicle, contact the Physical Plant to obtain a Vehicle Reimbursement Claim form. The form should be completed and submitted with the receipts.

Every individual driving a state vehicle must be a state employee and must have a valid driver’s license. Only the driver(s) listed on the reservation may operate the vehicle. No one is allowed in a state vehicle unless on official state business.

K.S.A. 8-301 states that all state-owned and leased vehicles are for official business only and may not be used for private use or private business or pleasure. If the vehicle is leased in the state’s name, all rules apply as with a state-owned vehicle. If the vehicle is leased in the employee’s name, the employee will be reimbursed at the private car mileage rate.

Employees should always be aware that they are accountable for the state vehicle they are assigned, how it is driven, where it is driven, and where it is parked. The driver will be personally responsible for any and all traffic or parking citations, tickets or fines received while operating the state vehicle.

Employees are responsible for operating state-owned vehicles and potentially hazardous equipment in a safe and prudent manner, and therefore, employees should refrain from using any cellular phones or electronic devices while operating such vehicles and equipment.

State law requires drivers and passengers in passenger vehicles to wear seat belts.

Employees may park their personal vehicles in the University parking lots east of the Stormont Maintenance Center. A temporary parking permit is available from Power Plant personnel and will allow for free parking while the individual is driving a state vehicle.

Reservations for a state vehicle must be made by a department and a departmental account number must be used for the reservation. An organization may only use a state vehicle for academic purposes and it must be reserved with a departmental account number.

When reserving a vehicle allow sufficient time for pickup and return.  However, to provide for maximum usage of vehicles, do not reserve a vehicle for too long creating slack time.  Vehicles should not be picked up prior to the reserved time.

Instructions for making a Vehicle Reservation

Back to top of page


If an accident occurs involving a privately owned or state-owned or leased motor vehicle being used for official state business, the following action should be taken:

  1. The vehicle operator or some other reliable person should immediately report the accident to the highway patrol or other law enforcement agency.
  2. Immediately notify the employee's supervisor of the accident. If the employee is unable to do so, then the first employee having knowledge of the accident should make the notification.
  3. The supervisor will notify the vice president of the affected area and ESU Police and Safety.
  4. Statements should not be made to anyone except law enforcement officers, Power Plant personnel, or University administration.
  5. Identifying information of other parties involved in the accident should be obtained.
  6. The employee involved in the accident is responsible for protecting state property from theft or further damage. If the employee is not able to do so, then the employee's immediate supervisor or first employee having knowledge of the accident should do so.
  7. Damaged vehicles shall be towed to state property to avoid storage charges.
  8. Notify the Director of Administration and Facility Maintenance in University Facilities (x 5331) for liability insurance purposes if damage to other property was involved.
  9. All copies of information should be forwarded to the Controller’s Office. The Controller’s Office will report to the State Department of Administration as appropriate.

A copy of the accident reporting requirements will be kept in each vehicle with the vehicle registration and proof of insurance.

Back to top of page

3H.0402 12-PASSENGER VAN POLICY (Approved by President 6/22/01; revised 7/19/02)

It is recognized that a 12-passenger van (hereinafter "Van" or "Vans") will often be the most effective means of transportation for certain activities and events involving University employees and/or students. This policy statement is intended to implement uniform standards of usage in an effort to maximize the safety of those utilizing the Van.

  1. All van usage must be in compliance with applicable municipal, state and federal requirements.
  2. Van drivers must be full-time or part-time employees of the University or have an appointment as a graduate assistant. Undergraduate students may not be van drivers.  An exception is granted for on-campus use and trips less than 5 miles from the University main campus.  An exception is also granted for undergraduate drivers provided: a staff/faculty member who is also an approved trained driver is present in the van; and the undergraduate driver is at least 21 years of age.
  3. Prior to driving a van, drivers must complete a National Safety Council class on van driving and safety.
  4. No driver shall operate a van more than 10 hours in any 24-hour period.
  5. The van driver must take a mandatory 30-minute rest break every 4 hours.
  6. The van driver will be personally responsible for any and all traffic or parking citations, tickets or fines received while operating a van.
  7. All occupants of the van must use a seat belt at all times of operation.
  8. No van will be used to transport or carry more than 12 passengers (including the driver) at any one time.
  9. No luggage may be stored on top of a van.
  10. This policy is applicable to the usage of all vans, whether owned, rented or leased by the University.

This policy shall be included in the ESU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.


25-Passenger Bus Policy (Approved by President 7/13/16)

  1. All Bus usage must be in compliance with applicable municipal, state and federal requirements.
  2. Drivers must have a current Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) and a current Medical card. A copy of the CDL license and Medical card must be on file in the Controller’s Office before a reservation for the individual is approved.
  3. Bus drivers must be employees of the University and at least 21 years old.
  4. No driver shall operate a bus more than 10 hours in any 24-hour period. The bus driver must take a mandatory 30-minute rest break every 4 hours.
  5. The bus driver will be personally responsible for any and all traffic or parking citations, tickets or fines received while operating a bus.
  6. No bus will be used to transport or carry more than 25 passengers (including the driver) at any one time.
  7. No luggage may be stored on top of a bus.
  8. Whenever seat belts are available, all occupants of the bus must use a seat belt at all times of operation.
  9. This policy is applicable to the usage of all buses, whether owned, rented or leased by the University.

Back to top of page


All vehicle rentals must be preapproved by the Business Office via an OnBase Travel Request.  The request should include justification for the use of the rental rather than public transportation.  Please be aware that a rental should only be used if there is no other form of public transportation available or if using a rental vehicle is the more economical option.  Once approved, the rental may be reserved through the State Travel Center (Short's Travel) for a fee or by the individual. Upgrades are not allowed.  Inquire with the Business Office for further information.

The use of the university travel P-Card (through the Business Office) is encouraged for all rentals, whether in- or out-of-state, since it provides CDW/LDW at no additional expense.

If the employee rents a vehicle in-state, the State-contracted rental company must be used and rental should be charged with the university travel P-Card through the Business Office to ensure insurance coverage.  The Business Account contract number WITH CDW should be used when reserving your rental.  When this contract number is used, it is not necessary to purchase additional on-site CDW/LDW coverage, and should be declined.

If a rental is made out-of-state in the employee's name, the employee should first attempt to make reservations with our State-contracted rental company or companies at the State-contracted rate.  If the State-contracted rental company is not available in the location traveled to, the employee will be reimbursed for the cost of the most economical rental available and applicable taxes and surcharges.  Auto insurance options and charges that are listed as not allowable are the employee's responsibility, and will not be reimbursed. 

Listed below are guidelines as to what is allowed and not allowed to be reimbursed or paid for rental vehicles for travel by state employees (this may not be all inclusive).

NOT allowable:

Any additional liability coverage such as:

AAD: Automobile Accidental Death


EP: Extended Protection (Alamo)

LIS/SLI: Liability Insurance Supplement

LLDW: Limited Loss Damage Waiver

PAEC: Personal Accident and Effect Coverage

PAI/PAC: Personal Accident insurance

PEI/PEC: Personal Effect Insurance

Premium Emergency Roadside Assistance

Additional Driver charge for non-state employee

Upgrades or payments for luxury cars

Underage driver fee when rented for state business rentals


Airport imposed taxes/fees

LDW/CDW/PDW-Loss Damage Waiver/Collision Damage Waiver/Partial Damage Waiver*

*Allowed ONLY when not using the university travel P-Card. The university’s P-Card already includes this coverage.

FPO-Fuel Purchase Option-Payment/prepayment for refueling

Sales Tax/Excise Tax/State surcharges/Transaction Tax

GPS and Platepass-if approved by the agency head prior to the travel

If a rental spans over personal use and business use, reimbursement of the rental will be prorated for the official business use. 

Aircraft and bus charter reservations are not required to be made through the State Travel Center. The traveler must contact the Business Office well in advance of travel to make arrangements because restrictions apply.

Current Rental Rates (Effective November 1, 2018):

An employee must secure the most economical rental vehicle that adequately fulfills the need of the traveler.  Vehicle size is to be determined by the number of travelers and use.


            Car Size                                  Avg. Seating Capacity           In-State Daily Rental Rate

            Compact/Intermediate                          4-5                                           $29.00

            Full-size                                                5-6                                           $33.00

            Mini-van                                                 7                                             $54.00


A dedicated State of Kansas reservation link has been created by National and Enterprise for your convenience.  You may access the link here to make reservations:

Back to top of page


Conference registration fees are included in the total cost for travel. The conference fee may be paid in advance.  Regardless of payment method, allow two weeks prior to deadline for processing.

If a department wishes to pre-pay a conference or seminar registration fee with the university BTA card, a Travel Request must be completed via OnBase prior to the purchase of the registration.  If the fee cannot be paid with a card and must be paid with a check, the “Invoice/Check” option as the Payment Method must be marked on the Travel Request.

Back to top of page


Out-of-state hotel/motel reservations may be booked through the State Travel Center for a fee or by the individual. State reimbursement rates apply.

Back to top of page


Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) will be reimbursed at a per diem rate only with an overnight stay. Receipts are not necessary. 

To figure daily M&IE rates per city, visit the following sites:

Within the Continental US

Outside of the Continental US

The following charts show how Quarters are divided, and the reimbursed percentage of Daily M&IE. 




% of M&IE



Day of

Day of

Time of Departure

Quarter Day



12:00 AM - 5:59 AM

Quarter 1



6:00 AM - 11:59 AM

Quarter 2



12:00 PM - 5:59 PM

Quarter 3



6:00 PM - 11:59  PM

Quarter 4








Reimbursed % of Daily M&IE Rate








The M&IE section of the Travel Reimbursement form in OnBase should be completed to figure total per diem reimbursed.  On the first and last day of travel, the traveler should select which Quarter of the day he/she left and returned, per the chart.  For all days in between, the traveler will choose “100” since they are traveling 100% of the day.  Any time a meal is provided at an event attended or at the hotel where the traveler stays, reimbursement will be decreased by the meal allotment as dictated by the current policy regardless of whether or not the meal is consumed.

Back to top of page


Twenty-four hours after the traveler returns (per the arrival date and time on the Travel Request in OnBase), the Travel Reimbursement form will automatically be generated.  The Travel Reimbursement must be completed, approved by the traveler, and have the proper department approvals listed on the form, along with all relevant receipts attached.  This form must be completed in OnBase within 30 days of the traveler’s return.

Travel using a personal car must be by the usually traveled, most direct route and will be reimbursed at the current State approved automobile mileage rate.  If a rental car is used, the traveler must attach a memo stating the reason.  The rental car receipt must be itemized.

Meal and lodging allowances will be reimbursed as stated in the Employee Travel Expense Reimbursement Handbook any meals included in the registration fees. Make sure room rate and taxes are listed separately on receipts. Please submit receipts for taxi, shuttle, turnpike tolls, airport parking, and tips although they are no longer required.  Please be advised that, per the 2017 State of Kansas Travel Handbook, the M&IE rate includes charges for meals, taxes and all fees and tips to waiters, hotel porters, bellhops, doormen, maids and dining room stewards.  These items will NOT be reimbursed in addition to the M&IE maximum daily rate set forth.

Back to top of page

Created: November 2000
Updated: November 2, 2018
For additional or more current information,
contact Controller's Office, 105 Plumb Hall, 341-5413.