Scholarships for Incoming Students
Incoming Freshman and Transfer Student Scholarships
To qualify you must be a new student intending to enroll as a full-time art major for the following fall. These scholarships are awarded on the basis of artistic achievement. You may also apply for academic scholarships which have different requirements and application dates through the Financial Aid Office.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of portfolios submitted by prospective students. Your portfolio is very important and will be used by the Scholarship Committee to evaluate your potential. It should be a collection of your best original artwork. The portfolio must be received no later than November 20, 2015, and should consist of the following:
1. Cover letter stating educational background, status as a new freshman or transfer student, and a statement of interests and goals in art.
2. Ten high quality digital images (jpegs) numbered 1-10 submitted on a CD. If possible, at least three of these images should be of drawings and at least one should be of a three-dimensional work. Submitted data must be Mac OS compatible. Loading the images and information in a PowerPoint presentation is recommended and preferred. Suggested image size and format: 4x6 inches @ 300 dpi jpegs (*Formatting questions may be addressed to: email@example.com)
Follow the guidelines below when creating your portfolio:
- Use a high quality digital camera on a tripod or copy stand, and use a cable release or timer to avoid creating blurry images.
- Place the work on and in front of a solid neutral background, without pattern.
- Focus your camera and fill the frame of the viewfinder with your art.
- Clean up background imperfections for three-dimensional work, and crop two-dimensional work so that the image does not include the background.
- Two-dimensional art is often photographed using a copy stand with two lights placed at 45-degree angle from the artwork.
- Three-dimensional work should be photographed on a neutral background (dark grey and black are preferred). Show two different views of the piece.
3. Information sheet containing contact information and information for each image. Include the following contact information: student's name, address, phone number and email address. Include the following information for each image on the cd: image number, title, medium, and size of original artwork.
4. Materials will not be returned.
Send your portfolio and support materials to:
ESU Department of Art
Campus Box 4015
1 Kellogg Circle
Emporia, KS 66801