INCOMING FRESHMAN STUDENT
If you will graduate from high school or receive your GED in December 2013 or May/June 2014 (with or without college credit), you’re a freshman. Also, if you graduated from high school, or received your GED before 2013, but you won’t have 24 or more hours of college credit earned after your graduation date, you’re a freshman.
- Fill out the application for admission.
- Pay the $30 application fee
- Have your ACT or SAT scores sent to ESU (students under the age of 21 only)
- Have your high school transcript or GED test scores sent to ESU
- Send transcripts from any college credit you have earned
If you are 21 or over and have graduated from an accredited high school or received an overall GED score of 2550, with subscores of 510 or higher, you will be admitted to ESU. If you took the test prior to July 1, 2002, contact the Admissions Office for the previous score levels.
If you’re under 21, the following information is for you.
Emporia State, along with the other five Kansas Regents Universities, has been following Qualified Admissions standards since August of 2001. You will automatically be admitted to Emporia State by meeting ONE of these requirements.
- Achieve an ACT Score of 21 or above, or a verbal+math SAT score of 980 or above.
- Rank in the top one-third of your high school’s graduating class.
- Complete the pre-college curriculum with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average.
Students from out of state must have at least a 2.5 Grade Point Average on a comparable curriculum
For students graduating from high school in December 2013, or May 2014, the Precollege Curriculum is listed below:
- 4 approved units of English; one unit taken each year of high school
- 3 units of Natural Science; one unit must be Chemistry or Physics
- 3 units of Math; Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II or any math course that has Algebra II as a prerequisite.
- 3 units of Social Science; one unit of US History, 1/2 unit of US Government, 1/2 unit of World History, World Geography or International Relations. There is a list of additional courses that may be used to complete the requirement here.
- 4 approved units of English; one unit taken each year of high school. 1/2 unit may be Speech.
- 3 approved units of Natural Science; one unit must be Chemistry or Physics
- 3 approved units of Math; Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II or any math course that has Algebra II as a prerequisite AND an ACT Math Subscore of 22. If students don't have the 22 ACT Math Subscore, they may take a fourth year of math from the courses listed above.
- 3 approved units of Social Science; must include instruction in US History, US Government and Geography.
- 3 approved units of Electives; English, Math, Natural Science, Social Science, Fine Arts, Computer/Information Systes, Foreign Languages, Personal Finance, Speech, Debate, Forensics, Journalism, Career Technical Education.
- (for more information on the curriculum, go to http://www.kansasregents.org/qa_requirements)
- If you don’t meet the qualifications above, it’s important to apply early! You can be considered for Admission to ESU by the 10% Window Committee. Emporia State can admit up to 10% of the incoming class through this process. For more information about the 10% window, contact Admissions at email@example.com.