Writing Center Zoom Sessions
Distance learners are eligible for Writing Center services
Writing Center Zoom Services
Beginning Sunday, March 22, all Writing Center services will be provided synchronously online via Zoom during regular WC operating hours. You must make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance, so plan accordingly.
Please note that Zoom sessions are limited, and students are accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan ahead if you are required to meet with a writing partner.
- If you are unfamiliar with Zoom, click here (link to https://zoom.us/ )
- If you do not know how to create a Zoom account, click here
Please direct any questions to Joelle Spotswood, Director of the Writing Center
What to expect in a Zoom session
cAs each session will address only one specific issue, some writing sessions may only take 10 minutes while others may last 45 minutes for lengthier papers and projects.
Some of the things we often examine include the "larger" issues:
- approach to meeting requirements of the assignment
- overall organization of the essay (letter, report, etc.)
- strength of the thesis and topic sentences
- development of content (thoroughness, completeness)
- documentation of source material
- clarity and precision of expression.
Some of the "smaller" concerns are:
- mechanics (punctuation and spelling).
Arrange a Zoom Session
When it is time for the Zoom session, a writing partner will host the meeting and you will receive an email with a link to join. During the meeting, the writing partner will open your text, share her or his screen with you, and you both will be able to view and discuss the text in real time. Follow this link to set up a Zoom session: Setmore Booking Page.
Sundays 3 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Monday-Thursday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Zoom sessions are not available over breaks, when the university is closed, or during non-regular business hours.