2007.0010

Summary Information

Repository
Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives
Creator
Eisiminger, George.
Title
Post card with a view of the State Normal School, Emporia, Kansas
ID
2007.0010
Date
Circa 1880-1917
Extent
0.25 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract
A post card of the State Normal School featuring the Main Building and the Power House.

Preferred Citation note

Post card with a view of the State Normal School, Emporia, Kansas, Emporia State University Archives, Emporia State University.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Kansas State Normal School, established in 1863, is one of the oldest normal schools in the United States. It changed its name to Kansas State Teachers College in 1923 and to Emporia Kansas State College in 1974 and has been Emporia State University since 1977.

Located in the heart of Bluestem Region of Flint Hills, Kansas State Normal School had an area of about 20 acres. Opened in 1865 with only eighteen students and one teacher, it welcomed its first graduating class of two women in 1867.

The original programs offered include Language, Mathematics, Geography and History, Natural Science, and Professional, which deals with the theory and art of teaching, and the related topics. These include the organization and classification of school, the order of the development of the mental faculties, history of systems and methods of education, primary instruction, the constitutions of the United States and of the State of Kansas, and the school laws of Kansas.

The buildings on campus include Stone Building in 1867, Main Building in 1880, Kellogg Library in 1903, Norton Science Hall in 1907, and Old Gym in 1910. Lyman B. Kellogg became the first president of this school from 1865 to 1871, followed by George W. Hoss from 1871 to 1873, C. R. Pomeroy from 1873 to 1879, Rudolph B. Welch from 1879 to 1882, Albert R. Taylor from 1882 to 1901, Jasper N. Wilkinson from 1901 to 1906, Joseph H. Hill from 1906 to 1913, and Thomas W. Butcher from 1913 to 1943.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection consists of one post card labeled “State Normal School, Emporia, Kan”. The near building on the post card is called the Main Building, which is an administration building built on the foundation of the old administration building. After the old building burned down in 1878, the new building was used from 1880 until 1917 when it was demolished after the construction of Plumb Hall. In the background is the Power House, which was built in 1920 and later additions were completed in 1931, 1947 and 1962.

This post card has never been used, but it has some scratches and spots on it. The letters on it are readable.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

1 folder in 1 box.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives June 2008

1200 Commercial St
Campus Box 4051
Emporia, KS, 66801
(620) 341-6431
archives@emporia.edu

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Other collections contain post cards, including the Alma Ise Lindley Papers (NAxxxx.0017) which describes some people and places of Kansas. A box of post cards representing Kansas State Normal School, Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia, Emporia Kansas State College, Emporia State University, and the College of Emporia is available from Ready Reference.

An envelope featuring the administrative building of the Kansas State Normal School can be found in Ella Mary Crichton Papers (NA1962.0001). A brief explanation of the building, as well as its picture, can also be found in the Archives reference book Campus Buildings, Grounds, & Memorials: The Buildings and Memorials of Emporia State University compiled by Clint Corby in 2002. Additional information is included in the Facility, University record group (ESU004.002).

The Power House is pictured in Sally Conard Photographs (2005.0004), and is depicted in the Archives reference book Changing Landscape: Historical Tour of E.K.S.C. by Kathleen Statts and Connie Hamner (Nc:1a 1976).

Separated Materials note

None.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Kansas State Normal School -- Buildings.
  • Kansas State Normal School. Power Plant..
  • Kansas State Normal School.

Subject(s)

  • College buildings -- Kansas -- Emporia.
  • Postcards -- Kansas -- Emporia.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Postcard, circa 1880-1917. 

1 1