Post card views of Kansas State Normal School Campus
2007.0009

Summary Information

Repository
Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives
Creator
Lavell, Helen.
Title
Post card views of Kansas State Normal School Campus
ID
2007.0009
Date
1913, 1917-1918
Extent
0.25 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract
Three post cards of the Kansas State Normal School featuring the Kellogg Library Building, Physical Training Building, and Plumb Hall.

Preferred Citation note

Post card views of Kansas State Normal School Campus, Emporia, Kansas, Emporia State University Archives, Emporia State University.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Kansas State Normal School, established in 1863, is one of the oldest normal schools in the United States. It changed its name to Kansas State Teachers College in 1923 and to Emporia Kansas State College in 1974 and has been Emporia State University since 1977.

Located in the heart of Bluestem Region of Flint Hills, Kansas State Normal School had an area of about 20 acres. Opened in 1865 with only eighteen students and one teacher, it welcomed its first graduating class of two women in 1867.

The original programs offered include Language, Mathematics, Geography and History, Natural Science, and Professional, which deals with the theory and art of teaching, and the related topics. These include the organization and classification of school, the order of the development of the mental faculties, history of systems and methods of education, primary instruction, the constitutions of the United States and of the State of Kansas, and the school laws of Kansas.

The buildings on campus include Stone Building in 1867, Main Building in 1880, Kellogg Library in 1903, Norton Science Hall in 1907, and Old Gym in 1910. Lyman B. Kellogg became the first president of this school from 1865 to 1871, followed by George W. Hoss from 1871 to 1873, C. R. Pomeroy from 1873 to 1879, Rudolph B. Welch from 1879 to 1882, Albert R. Taylor from 1882 to 1901, Jasper N. Wilkinson from 1901 to 1906, Joseph H. Hill from 1906 to 1913, and Thomas W. Butcher from 1913 to 1943.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection consists of three post cards labeled “Kellogg Library Building, State Normal, Emporia, Kansas,” “Physical Training Building, Kansas State Normal, Emporia, Kans,” and “Kansas State Normal, Emporia, Kans,” respectively.

The post card featuring Kellogg Library, postmarked in 1913, is addressed to May Steadman. Kellogg Library was built in 1903 and named in honor of Lyman Beecher Kellogg, the first president of Kansas State Normal School. Located in the southwest corner of campus, this building was two stories tall and made of brick. By 1930, structural problems, overflowing book collections and space limitations led to the plan of building a new library. In 1951 the William Allen White Library opened, and the Kellogg Library building was demolished in 1953.

The post card featuring Physical Training Building, postmarked in 1917, is addressed to Mrs. John Meyers from Frank G Austenfeld, and dated on November 3, 1917. The Physical Training Building was built in 1910 north of the present William Allen White Library. Included in the building was an indoor track, a swimming pool and a gymnasium. This building was razed in 1974, and replaced by Physical Education Building on the north side of campus the same year.

The post card featuring Kansas State Normal School, postmarked in 1918, is addressed to Mr. and Mrs. John Meyer from Frank G Austenfeld and Lulu Austenfeld. Pictured on the “Kansas State Normal, Emporia, Kan” post card is Plumb Hall, which is an administrative center and classroom building on campus. Erected in 1916 and opened in 1917, this building is 268 feet long and four stories tall, and Albert Taylor Hall is housed on the first floor. Major renovations and repairs were made in 1985 and the early 1990s. This building was named after Preston B. Plumb, one of the settlers of Emporia and a Senator from Kansas.

The three post cards are in good condition except for some minor scratches and spots. And all of the post cards are published by S. H. Kress & Co., a nationwide retail store with a location on Commercial Street in Emporia, Kansas from 1903 to 1984.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

Chronological.Post card views of Kansas State Normal School Campus, Emporia, Kansas, Emporia State University Archives, Emporia State University.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives August 2008

1200 Commercial St
Campus Box 4051
Emporia, KS, 66801
(620) 341-6431
archives@emporia.edu

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Other collections contain post cards, including the Alma Ise Lindley Papers (NAxxxx.0017) which describes some people and places of Kansas. A box of post cards representing Kansas State Normal School, Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia, Emporia Kansas State College, Emporia State University, and the College of Emporia is available from Ready Reference. In addition, a Post card with a view of the State Normal School, Emporia, Kansas can be found in collection 2007.0010.

A brief explanation of the three buildings, as well as their pictures, can be found in the Archives reference book Campus Buildings, Grounds, & Memorials: The Buildings and Memorials of Emporia State University compiled by Clint Corby in 2002. Additional pictures about Kellogg Library and the Physical Training Building can be found in the Facility, University record group (ESU004.002).

Separated Materials note

None.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Kansas State Normal School -- Buildings.
  • Kansas State Normal School.
  • S.H. Kress & Co.

Personal Name(s)

  • Austenfeld, Frank G.
  • Austenfeld, Lulu.
  • Meyer, John.
  • Steadman, May.

Subject(s)

  • College buildings -- Kansas -- Emporia.
  • Kellogg Library.
  • Postcards -- Kansas -- Emporia.
  • William Allen White Memorial Library.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Postcard, 1913. 

1 1

Postcard, 1917. 

1 1

Postcard, 1918. 

1 1