Emporia’s Ascent: How the Town Grew and Life Changed from 1950 to 2000
2007.0003

Summary Information

Repository
Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives
Creator
Call, Ray.
Title
Emporia’s Ascent: How the Town Grew and Life Changed from 1950 to 2000
ID
2007.0003
Date
2005
Extent
1.0 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract
Copy of book Emporia’s Ascent: How the Town Grew and Life Changed from 1950 to 2000 written by Ray Call.

Preferred Citation note

Emporia’s Ascent: How the Town Grew and Life Changed from 1950 to 2000, Emporia State University Archives, Emporia State University.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Ray Call joined the staff of the Emporia Gazette as a part-time photographer in 1955 while attending Emporia State University. In 1957 he became a full-time employee of the  Emporia Gazette and worked there as a reporter, wire editor, and managing editor before retiring in 1996. As a member of Emporia’s St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Call was a former member of the vestry, senior warden, and delegate. He served as a member of two search committees at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, and was chairman of its bicentennial celebration in 1976.

Emporia, Kansas, was founded on February 20, 1857, by four men organized as The Emporia Town Company. The name was selected from an ancient Greek market center with hopes that the town would become a thriving business community. The original site was between what is currently Sixth and 18th Avenues and West and East Streets. The following year the southern boundary of the town was extended to South Avenue. Emporia was originally a part of Breckinridge County (Kansas Territory) but became the seat of the new Lyon County in 1860.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection consists on one copy of the book Emporia’s Ascent: How the Town Grew and Life Changed from 1950 to 2000. It was written by Ray Call, produced by Carl Didde, and Virgil Basgall served as a consultant; each of these men has autographed the title page. The book provides a brief history of the town from 1857-1950, then explores various topics from 1950-2000, covering what the author refers to as “a half-century of progress.” Topics explore city leaders and local politicians, industries and business, arts and entertainment, successes and tragedies, and education, including Emporia State University and the College of Emporia.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

One book on shelf. Spine and cover titles differ slightly from title page: Emporia’s Ascent from 1950 to 2000.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives March 2007

1200 Commercial St
Campus Box 4051
Emporia, KS, 66801
(620) 341-6431
archives@emporia.edu

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

The Ray Call Research Materials collection (NA1999.0001) contains materials collected on many of the same topics. Kansas State Teachers College and Emporia State University presidents John King, John Visser, Robert Glennen, and Kay Schallenkamp’s records are available in the University Presidents record group (ESU001). Other histories of Emporia and Lyon County, Kansas, exist in the Emporia State University Archives collections. Also available are microfilm copies of the Emporia Gazette from 1893-2002.

Separated Materials note

None.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • College of Emporia (Kan.).
  • Emporia State University.

Geographic Name(s)

  • Emporia (Kan.) -- History.
  • Lyon County (Kan.) -- History.

Personal Name(s)

  • Basgall, Virgil.
  • Didde, Carl.

Subject(s)

  • Cities and towns -- History.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Book - Emporia’s Ascent: How the Town Grew and Life Changed from 1950 to 2000,  2005.