Robert Berning’s Negatives and Paperweight
2007.0012

Summary Information

Repository
Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives
Creator
Berning, Robert.
Title
Robert Berning’s Negatives and Paperweight.
ID
2007.0012
Date
Undated, circa 1917-1937
Extent
1.0 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract
One paperweight with an embedded photograph and two photographic negatives showing pictures of buildings on the campus of Kansas State Normal School, which later became Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia.

Preferred Citation note

Robert Berning’s Negatives and Paperweight, Emporia State University Archives, Emporia State University.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Robert Berning Robert Berning graduated from Northwest Missouri State University in 1971, and completed his Master of Library Science degree at Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia in 1974. After working as a school librarian, Berning became director of the Carlisle Public Library in Carlisle, Iowa.

Administration Building (1880-1917) The Administration Building completed in 1880 was built to replace the previous Administration Building which had burned in 1878, thus making it the third building on the current campus location. It was also referred to as the Normal Building or the Main Building, and the succession of buildings used for the administration of the Kansas State Normal School causes some confusion of names in references to the “Old Administration Building” or the “New Administration Building.” The Administration Building built in 1880 used the same foundation and almost the same plans as the previous building, with the result that the appearances of the buildings were very similar. The building cost about $45,800, and was formally dedicated on June 6, 1880. It was about 200 feet long and had 50 rooms. Notable features of the building at that time included water supplied by the city water works, gas lighting, electric bells, a telephone, and steam heating. The building housed nearly every activity of the Kansas State Normal School including administrative offices, classrooms, the library, music rooms, drawing department art rooms, the kindergarten and Model School classrooms, science laboratories, the woodworking shop, the literary society halls, and the gymnasium. A west wing was added to the building in 1888 at a cost of about $25,000. It was built to match the architecture of the earlier part of the building. An east wing was added to the building in 1894 at a cost of about $50,000. It was designed to house a new auditorium, and that made it necessary for the wing to have a peaked roof, which gave the east wing an appearance that did not match the architecture of the older part of the building. The 800 seat auditorium in the east wing was officially named Albert Taylor Hall by the Board of Regents. A notable feature of the east wing and the new auditorium at that time was their use of electric lights. The addition of the east wing brought the Administration Building to a total length of nearly 300 feet, with 80 rooms. In 1902 a gymnasium wing was added on the north side of the building. The Administration Building remained in use until the completion of Plumb Hall in 1917, at which time it was torn down. The area which had been the below-ground basement of the Administration Building became the Sunken Garden.

Plumb Hall Plumb Hall was named in honor of Senator Preston B. Plumb, one of the city founders of Emporia, Kansas, who was instrumental in the establishment of the Kansas State Normal School in Emporia. Plumb Hall was constructed at a cost of about $250,000, and the building was formally dedicated on July 11, 1917. The brick and stone building is T-shaped, with a width of 268 feet across the front, 82 feet along the sides, and the rear wing containing the auditorium measuring 96 feet wide and 113 feet deep. Plumb Hall was built to replace the Administration Building (1880-1917), and it has often been referred to as the “New Administration Building” or simply the “Administration Building.” A notable feature of the building at the time of its construction was the inclusion of an elevator shaft, although no elevator was installed until 1956. Another major feature of Plumb Hall is the auditorium, named Albert Taylor Hall in honor of the Kansas State Normal School’s president from 1882 to 1901. The auditorium originally had 1350 seats, but it was later reconfigured to accommodate 2,500 seats. Plumb Hall originally served as the main administrative and classroom building on the campus. It has been remodeled and renovated several times throughout its history, but it still houses many administrative offices and classrooms of Emporia State University.

Morse Hall

Morse Hall opened in 1924 as the first dormitory building on the campus of Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia. It was named after Abigail Morse, who was a teacher in the Emporia public schools, then later a teacher of literature, rhetoric, and history at Kansas State Normal School. The dormitory was built to house 100 women and was completed at a cost of about $112,000. In 1952 an addition was completed to the south of the original building, adding space for another 120 women at a cost of about $660,000. That addition included a dining hall, lobby, and recreation room in the basement. In 1962 the completion of another wing at the south end of the building extending to the east added room for 172 women. It was constructed at a cost of about $540,000. An additional wing on the north end of the dormitory extending eastward was completed in 1964 at a cost of about $650,000. It added rooms for another 196 women. The added wings created a C-shaped dormitory complex. The various sections of the building are sometimes referred to as the “Morse Complex,” with the sections referred to as “Abigail Morse Hall,” “Central Morse Hall,” “Northeast Morse,” and “South/Southeast Morse.” In 1971 coeducational housing was introduced in the Morse Hall dormitory with men residing in the northeast wing. In 1991 the south and southeast sections were remodeled as temporary offices for the use of academic and administrative departments which were displaced by renovation work in Plumb Hall. Morse Hall continues to serve primarily as a dormitory, but some administrative offices remain located in certain sections of the building.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The collection contains one glass paperweight with a photograph embedded in it, and two photographic negatives for postcards.

The paperweight is undated, but the photograph in it shows the Administration Building of Kansas State Normal School circa 1895 to 1908. One photographic negative shows Plumb Hall (built in 1917) and includes a label reading “Administration Building, State Teachers College, Emporia, Kansas.” The other photographic negative shows Morse Hall (built in 1924) and includes a label reading “Dormitory, State Teachers College, Emporia, Kansas.”

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

Arranged chronologically by the dates the pictured buildings were built.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Emporia State University Special Collections and Archives December 2008

1200 Commercial St
Campus Box 4051
Emporia, KS, 66801
(620) 341-6431
archives@emporia.edu

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

There are other materials collected by Robert Berning, including a postcard showing a picture of the Kellogg Library and the Administration Building circa 1903-1909 (in the ready reference postcard box, Nb: 2b berning), a photograph negative for a postcard showing the fountain in the Sunken Garden (ESU004.002, P Nc: 2s 1937), and the Robert Berning Pennants (2005.0020). A photograph of Plumb Hall matching the negative in this collection appears on pages 17 and 23 of the 1936 Sunflower yearbook (ESU 003.004.004.002). A box of post cards representing Kansas State Normal School, Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia, Emporia Kansas State College, Emporia State University, and the College of Emporia is available from Ready Reference. It includes postcards showing three variations on the same photograph of the Administration Building as seen in the paperweight, and there are two examples of a postcard showing the photograph of Morse Hall that matches the negative and caption text in this collection. One postcard with the Morse Hall picture is dated March 25, 1937.

The Walter M. Andersen Collection also includes examples of post cards showing the same picture of the Administration Building and a print of the same photograph of Plumb Hall (EM-1576). Files containing information on the history of campus buildings are located in Record Group ESU004.002. They include other examples of the photograph of the Administration Building seen in the paperweight. Other commemorative paperweights are included in the Margaret Keller Humphrey Papers (2005.0001).

Separated Materials note

None.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Kansas State Normal School -- Buildings.
  • Kansas State Normal School. Administration Building (1880-1917).
  • Kansas State Normal School. Plumb Hall.
  • Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia -- Buildings.
  • Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia. Morse Hall.
  • Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia. Plumb Hall.

Subject(s)

  • College buildings -- Kansas -- Emporia.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box

Paperweight, undated. 

1
Box Folder

Photographic negative, circa 1917-1937. 

1 1

Photographic negative, circa 1917-1937. 

1 1