The Writing Center at 209C William Allen White Library
The following are our hours of operation:
9:00-5:00 Monday-Thursday and 7:00-9:00 Tuesday-Wednesday evenings
Clients may come (without appointment!) anytime during the hours of operation.
The Writing Center offers the following services:
Our consultations last usually 15 to 30 minutes. If the center is not crowded (clients waiting), we allow students to have consultations up to one hour. Clients using the computers may work more than one hour if there are not others waiting for computer use.
We are often asked, "Can you 'prove' that the Writing Center will help me?" Well the numbers collected at campuses across the country tell a dramatic story. At many schools, the average grade of students in beginning composition courses who visited the Writing Center at least twice was B+ as opposed to the average grade of C+ for those who did not visit the Writing Center. If that's not enough "proof" for you, here are some of the comments students have made about using the ESU Writing Center:
- "The tutors at the Writing Center helped me with my paper, but they didn't make me feel stupid."
- "This is such a great place. The tutor really listened to my concerns about grammar and showed me how I could find the errors I always miss."
- "He didn't just tell me what was wrong; he helped me build on the good parts and make them better than they were."
- "The girl helping me didn't just fix the paper for me (which is what I expected); she helped me learn so I wouldn't make the same mistakes again."
- "The tutors speak the same language I do--they don't use fancy words to explain what they want me to do--so I actually understand what they mean!"
- "I'm an international student, so I come here almost every day. They help me work on my English skills, not just my papers."