Phase I Application Procedure
Following these steps will speed up the application process.
- Application deadlines are November 15 for a Spring Phase I and April 15 for a Fall Phase I. Apply early to ensure you get the section you need or want (when 2 sections are available).
- Get an unofficial transcript and highlight your core general education courses.
- Complete the application form, including obtaining your adviser’s signature at https://indri.emporia.edu/. Use the Instructions for Electronic Applications
- Download and complete the Forms A and B documenting your 100 hours working with children/youth.
- Sign up for an application appointment on the wall outside Dr. Bland’s office (Visser Hall 203).
- Bring the completed application, highlighted transcript, and 100 hours Forms A and B to the appointment. Approved applications will be kept on file in the Teachers College.
Phase I Registration
- Students applying to Phase I will be enrolled in the three Phase I courses (9 credit hours total) by staff in Secondary Education. Secondary Phase I courses include the following: ED 332, Educational Psychology; ED 333, Principles of Secondary Education; and ED 334, Classroom Management.
- Students who have not met all requirements and who have not successfully appealed by the start of the semester must withdraw from the Phase I courses.
- The Orientation to Secondary Phase I meeting is held the afternoon of the day before classes begin each semester. This orientation is held in Visser Hall 126 at 1:00 pm. All students entering Phase I are required to attend.
- To be eligible for Phase I, all requirements must be completed, documented, and submitted to Dr. Bland before the Orientation to Phase I meeting.
- Candidates who will not meet certain requirements before the Orientation meeting must complete an appeal to be considered for admission to Phase I. Not all requirements are appeal-able. Appeals are due to Dr. Bland one week before the Orientation meeting. Late appeals will not be considered.