Curriculum & Instruction
The Curriculum & Instruction master's degree is a 34-credit hour program intended for individuals who teach or lead programs in all levels of public and private education. The C & I program accommodates various areas of interest through three areas of concentration:
- Curriculum Leadership - designed for educators who intend to coordinate the design, implementation, management, and evaluation of curriculum and instruction in public and private school systems.
- Effective Practitioner - designed for educators interested in improving their own classroom skills and maximizing student achievement. This program is also for those who wish to become leaders and resource persons in faculty development projects and activities.
- National Board Certification - designed for educators who intend to complete the review process which leads to National Board Certification.
Classes are available online during the spring, fall, and summer semesters. Practicum is completed during the final fall or spring semester of the program.
Admission to Graduate Studies
Gaining admission to a graduate program in our department must be initiated by you through contact with the Graduate School, Campus Box 03, Emporia State University, 1 Kellogg Drive, Emporia, Kansas 66801-5414, (620) 341-5403; or by applying online.
Program Admission Requirements
Students must follow the graduate degree procedures of the Department of School Leadership/Middle and Secondary Teacher Education and the Graduate School at Emporia State University. The criteria for unconditional admission include the following:
- GRE or MAT scores are not required
- GPA of 3.0 on the last 60 hours of college course work for those completing a masters degree or 3.0 on the last 30 graduate hours from a previously completed masters program
- Official transcripts of all college work
- Two references from supervisors or individuals who have had the responsibility of evaluating your academic or professional performance
- Complete and pass the Department Essay
- Complete the Student Disposition Form
The above requirements must be successfully completed by the end of the first semester in the program in order to be released from probation and admitted unconditionally into the program.
Students applying to the Curriculum and Instruction program can be found eligible for financial aid with a minimum of five credit hours for part-time graduate status or nine hours for full-time status. Students interested in financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)(ESU code = 001927) and then coordinate with the Office of Financial Aid at ESU to ensure all requirements for eligibility are met. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information at (620) 341-5457 or email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of admission requirements, all course work, and a comprehensive examination (completed in one of the final two semesters) are required to be eligible for graduation. Upon satisfactory completion of six credit hours and successful completion of all specified admission items, students will be admitted to degree candidacy. Degree candidacy is the formal approval for pursuit of a graduate degree. Students shall continuously demonstrate personal characteristics appropriate to the profession and maintain a 3.0 GPA or better throughout the program. Failure to do so can result in instatement of probationary status or dismissal from the program.
All courses counted towards the degree must be completed within a seven-year period. The seven-year period begins with the semester in which the first course applied to the degree was taken. Up to nine credit hours may be transferred toward the degree with appropriate department approval. Before making any determination concerning transfer credits, ESU requires a transcript explanation, normally found on the back of official transcripts. University policy prohibits the transfer of courses where a grade of C or lower was obtained. For full rules and restrictions regarding transfer credit visit http://www.emporia.edu/regist/com/policy.html.