Provisional Licenses

A provisional license is a "temporary" type of license which attaches to a valid Kansas teaching license.  A provisional means an individual is currently enrolled in a program toward a new endorsement area or new license area and also has been hired by a Kansas school to teach or serve in this new endorsement or license area.  If you have not been hired by a Kansas school to teach in the requested provisional area, KSDE will not issue a provisional license without verification from a hiring district.

A provisional license application, Form 4, is only available through the licensure officer of the institution where enrollment in the program is occurring.  Please do not contact KSDE for the application.  It is unavailable on the KSDE website.  Please contact Andra Baldwin, ESU Licensure Officer at or by phone at 620-341-5412 to request the Form 4 application or for instructions to be sent to you via email if you are a current ESU student in an endorsement program or a licensure program and you have been hired by a Kansas school.

For special ed provisional licenses, you must have completed coursework in the areas of methodology and the characteristics of exeptional children and special education, and completion of a practicum in the specific special education field.

For other teaching endorsements, you must have completed at least 50 percent of the approved program in the requested endorsement field.

For school specialists (school counseling, library media, and reading specialists), you must have completed at least 50 percent of your coursework toward the master's degree.

Parallel Pathways school counselor candidates and school leadership candidates are not eligible for a provisional license, according to KSDE regulations.