Meals / Nutrition
The CECE serves three meals per day:
- Breakfast is served at 8:30 a.m.
- Lunch is served between 11:15 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.
- Snack is served after the rest period at approximately 3:00 p.m.
The CECE participates in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). All meals served meet the CACFP nutrition guidelines. When enrolling at the Center, each family is asked to fill out a CACFP form as required by our participation in this program. All information provided on these forms is confidential.
Policy Regarding Bringing Food from Home
Policy written at February 2003 Advisory Council Meeting
Children present at mealtimes will be served all items (including milk) on the menu. Food from home is not allowed. Exceptions to this policy will only be allowed if a child has special dietary needs due to a diagnosed medical condition or religious restrictions. Special foods due to diet restrictions are to be provided by the parents.
A. If your child has a diagnosed medical condition that requires a special diet, a doctor's note is required. The note must explain the medical condition as well as what exceptions are required. This policy also applies to milk allergies.
B. If your child has religious dietary restrictions, a note from the parent is required. The note should include a list of what foods the child cannot have.
If, for the reasons stated above, your child needs special food brought from home, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- A balanced, nutritious sack lunch should be provided. CECE provides healthy, balanced meals for the children as part of our philosophy and curriculum to teach children about nutrition. We ask that meals sent from home mirror this philosophy. Providing a sack lunch with a protein (meat, cheese), fruit, vegetable and grain will help to meet this goal. Chips, pop, candy and other sugary desserts are not allowed.
- Your child will eat his/her sack lunch with the rest of the class. The teacher will help your child place all of the sack lunch contents on a plate so that everyone's meal will be served in the same manner. Therefore, your child can use CECE's plates, cups and eating utensils.
- Food needs to be prepared or packaged in a way that is easy and convenient for the child to open.
- All food items must be able be stored in a lunch box/thermos in the child's cubby. The staff is unable to get items out of the kitchen/refrigerator.
- All food must be prepared ahead of time at home. Any food that needs to be served warm must be sent to school in a thermos. Staff is unable to warm the food in the kitchen/microwave or prepare any soups, mixes, or pasta dishes. .
- Any uneaten food will be thrown away.
- Children bringing lunches from home will be served milk from school (unless documentation of milk allergy is provided). No juice boxes, pop, or kool-aid is allowed.
- There is no discount in your daily fees if your child brings meals from home.
Please note: Because some children arrive so early in the morning, parents are welcome to bring a nutritious breakfast from home for their child to eat at school. All food items must be prepared in advance by the parent.