Center for Early Childhood Education
Meals / Nutrition
The CECE serves three meals per day:
- 8:30 a.m. - breakfast is served
- 11:30 a.m. - lunch is served
- approximately 3 p.m. - a snack is served after the rest period
The CECE participates in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). All meals served meet the CACFP nutrition guidelines. When enrolling at the CECE, each family is asked to fill out a CACFP form as required by our participation in this program. All information provided on these forms is confidential.
Policy Regarding Bringing Food from Home
Children present at mealtimes will serve all items (including milk) on the menu per CACFP guidelines. Food from home is not allowed. Exceptions to this policy will only be allowed if a child has special dietary needs due to a diagnosed medical condition/food allergies or cultural/religious restrictions. If a child requires special foods/modifications/substitutions due to diet restrictions, the director will work with each family regarding their child’s individual needs. In some cases, the center may provide for the substitutions, in other cases, the family may be asked to provide the appropriate substitutions.
- If your child has an allergy or diagnosed medical condition that requires a special diet, the child’s doctor is required to complete a CACFP Meal Modification form. This policy also applies to milk allergies. Only CACFP eligible/creditable milk substitutes will be provided by the center.
- If your child has culture/religious dietary restrictions, a note from the parent is required. The note should include a list of what foods the child cannot have and should be based upon a reasonable rationale (i.e. vegetarian = no meats, no pork products = all other
meat sources acceptable). Parents may be asked to complete a Meal Modification form without having to have a doctor’s certification.
If, for the reasons stated above , your child needs special food brought from home, please inquire in the office for guidelines as to what can/cannot be brought to school for meals and which portions you will be responsible for providing.
Please note: Because some children arrive so early in the morning, we understand some children may have a light snack prior to/on their way to coming to the center. We strongly encourage parents to have their children finish these items prior to coming into their classrooms. Should they have the need to finish an item, they will be asked to immediately sit at a table to finish the item. Unfinished portions will not be saved/stored for later.
Should a child have special feeding needs, staff will work with the parents to address appropriate documentation regarding the types and quantities of food consumed daily.