Restricted Teaching License
Applicable to Restricted Teaching and Restricted School Specialist License
From KSDE 91-1-203. Licensure requirements.
(h) Restricted teaching license
(i) The local education agency has exhausted reasonable attempts to locate and hire a licensed person for the position which the applicant is to fill;
(i) The applicant has on file a written plan that will qualify the applicant for full licensure in the content area for which the restricted certificate is sought;
(ii) the plan for program completion can be completed in not more than two years and contains a specific designation of the coursework that is to be completed each year;
(iii) the program provided to the applicant will meet the institution’s approved professional education standards;
(iiv) the institution will provide the applicant with on-site support at the employing local education agency, including supervision of the applicant’s teaching experience; and
(v) the institution has collaborated with the employing local education agency concerning the applicant’s program.
(2) Each local education agency that employs a person holding a restricted teaching license shall submit to the commissioner of education a progress report before July 1 of each year during the effective period of the restricted license. This progress report shall include the following:
- (A) verification from the chief administrative officer of the employing local education agency attesting to the following information:
(i) The applicant's contract will be renewed; and
(ii) the local education agency will continue to assign an experienced mentor teacher to the applicant and provide accommodations to the applicant to work with the mentor teacher and to complete the applicant's plan for full licensure;
- (B) a statement from the licensing officer of the applicant's teacher education institution attesting to the following:
(i) The applicant has made appropriate progress toward completion of the applicant's plan to qualify for full licensure; and
(ii) the institution will continue to support the applicant, on-site, as necessary; and
- (C) an official transcript verifying that the applicant has attained at least a 2.50 GPA on a 4.0 scale in those courses specified in the applicant's plan for full licensure.
(3) Each applicant who is unable to provide any verification or statement required in paragraph (2) of this subsection shall no longer be eligible to hold a restricted teaching license and shall return any previously issued restricted teaching license to the state board.