Student Code of Conduct
In accordance with the Affirmation of Values, the Student Code of Conduct is a statement of behavioral expectations that applies to all Emporia State University students.
Student Conduct Process
The purpose of the student conduct process is to maintain the behavioral standards set by the campus community, and to provide all students with an administrative adjudication process in which responsibility is decided in a fair and impartial manner.
Informal conferences and other student conduct proceedings at educational institutions do not follow the same procedures used in courtrooms. The university does not employ lawyers to “prosecute” students. University student conduct proceedings do not follow rules of evidence like a civil or criminal trial. Instead, charges are investigated and resolved in an atmosphere of candor, truthfulness, and civility.
Student Conduct Officer
The Student Conduct Officer strives:
- to regard each student as an individual, deserving individual attention, consideration and respect.
- to consider the facts fully and carefully before resolving any alleged violation.
- to speak candidly and honestly to each student.
- to hold each student accountable for a standard of behavior that protects the campus community and promotes student development.
- to ensure standards of courtesy and integrity, which prevent educational disruption, and promote a productive learning environment.
- to recognize human fallibility and consider the stresses associated with college life while demonstrating compassion and empathy throughout the student conduct process.
- to contribute to the educational mission of the university.
- to provide a fair and efficient process for enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct.
For more information, contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 620-341-5267. Students are encouraged to read the Student Code of Conduct in its entirety at: <http://www.emporia.edu/studentcodeofconduct>.