Applying for Master of Library Science
See Regional Location pages for application deadlines:
Colorado MLS Program – Denver
Kansas MLS Program – Emporia
Kansas MLS Program – Overland Park
Oregon MLS Program – Portland
Utah MLS Program – Salt Lake City and Orem
South Dakota MLS Program – Sioux Falls
Required Application Materials
- Office of Graduate Studies Application
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate colleges/universities attended. A minimum 3.0 GPA is required for full admission. Applicants with a GPA under 3.0 may be considered for probationary admission.
- Two letters of reference
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae
- Statement of Objectives: A statement of objectives focuses on how your experiences have shaped your professional and academic goals. You may choose to discuss why you hope to enter a master of library science program, what your current career objectives are, and what you hope to take away from your relationship with Emporia State University’s School of Library and Information Management. The statement of objectives should be no longer than two pages, double-spaced.
- Advising Interview: An advising interview, which would be scheduled with your regional program director, has been designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your interest in SLIM’s MLS program as well as your own professional preparation and experiences, your professional promise, and your academic aptitude. It will also provide you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the SLIM program and professional outcomes, shown on the Program Outcomes page. Effective March 2012 - The admissions interview requirement replaces the requirement for GRE scores.
- ID Verification Form - access directly through the Graduate Application Portal: Application Portal or ID Verification Form
Submitting Application Materials
The following items can be uploaded to the Application Portal
Unofficial bachelor's degree transcript
Statement of objectives
Two letters of reference
ID Verification form
Official transcripts must also be sent to the Graduate Office at ESU. Many universities and colleges now do this electronically; email@example.com . If the transcripts need to be mailed, send to:
The Office of Graduate Studies
MLS Program Admissions
Campus Box 4003
Emporia State University
1 Kellogg Circle
Emporia, KS 66801-5415.
It is also possible to have the two letters of reference, statement of objectives, and resume sent via mail to the above address or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about the MLS Program, see the Master of Library Science Program page.
Supreme Librarians in Metaspace - a comic on reasons to join the SLIM program.