Applying for Doctor of Philosophy
The next Ph.D. cohort will begin classes in fall 2018. Applications will be accepted beginning June 1, 2017.
June 1 – October 1, 2017 — Accepting Ph.D. applications for fall 2018 cohort
November 1, 2017 — Begin review of applications
January 15, 2018 — Applicant notification of decision
Applications received after November 1, 2017 will be reviewed before March 1, 2018 and notified of decision by May 1, 2018.
Requirements (review in-progress; revised by June 1, 2017)
To be considered for the program, an applicant must provide the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- A GRE score of at least 304 (total verbal reasoning and quantitative scores);
- Three current letters of recommendation that speak to an applicant’s qualifications for graduate study and research;
- A sample of written work that demonstrates an applicant’s scholarly writing ability;
- A 200-300 word statement outlining the applicant’s career goals and research interests; and
- When appropriate, a strong performance on the TOEFL, usually evidenced by a score of 650 or above.
In some cases, an applicant who does not meet the above criteria may be admitted on academic probation. Academic probation allows a student the opportunity to demonstrate his/her ability to succeed with doctoral level course work.
Please complete the graduate school application form and submit supplementary application materials at https://www.emporia.edu/grad/admissions/.
International Students - Please complete and submit a paper application to ESU Graduate School.
Go to http://www.emporia.edu/oie/apply-to-esu/ and select "Print-Friendly Version." This form can be printed and completed, then mailed with the supporting materials to the ESU Office for International Education.
Emporia State University
Office of International Education
Campus Box 4041
1 Kellogg Circle
Emporia, KS 66801
United States of America
For more information about the degree, see the Doctor of Philosophy page.