Emporia State University
UNCLASSIFIED PROFESSIONAL’S COMMISSION
Unclassified Professional Commission
Section 1. Definition
Unclassified appointments apply to all University employees except those who have civil service classification or those who are student employees. Any Unclassified Personnel who is not “voting faculty” as defined by Article 1 Paragraph1 of the Faculty Senate Constitution and who is not a member of the ESU Administration who reports directly to the University’s President shall be represented by the Unclassified Commission. For the purpose of the Unclassified Commission the University President, Associate Vice-Presidents and Deans will not be included.
Section 2. Purpose
The purpose of the organization is to foster communication and collegiality among Unclassified Professional personnel of the University, and to:
- Provide representation for Unclassified Professional personnel and liaison to the University administration and others regarding issues of concern;
- Formulate recommendations to the University President regarding policies and procedures that relate to the concerns of the Unclassified Professional personnel at Emporia State University;
- Review and recommend refinement of policies and procedures relating to Unclassified Professional employee.
Section 1. Eligibility for Membership
Persons eligible to serve on the Commission shall be Unclassified Professional personnel appointed at Emporia State University with 0.5 or greater FTE (full time equivalent) as defined above.
Section 2. Composition
The membership of the commission shall consist of:
A. 5-10% of eligible unclassified appointments
B. ex-officio members shall include: an administrator, a rep. from human resources
Section 3. Representation
Initial selection will be from a group of volunteers.
- Commissioners shall be elected from all unclassified professional staff
Section 4. Terms of membership
- All commissioners will serve a two year term, beginning July 1.
- After serving two consecutive terms, a commissioner shall not be eligible for re-election for one commission year.
- Officers are exempt from term limits for the term of their appointment
- To ensure continuity, approximately one-half of commissioners shall be elected each year.
- If the immediate past President is completing the second year of his/her term, he/she will be invited to serve one additional year as an ex-officio member, in order to lend continuity to the governing body.
Section 5. Voting Privileges
Each commissioner shall have one vote.
Section 1. Officers
Officers of the Commission shall be Past President, President, President Elect, and the Secretary. Any elected officers shall have served at least one year on the commission before they are eligible for an office, unless otherwise approved by the commission.
Section 2. Duties of Officers
Officers of the Commission and their duties are:
A. Past President
- The Past President shall preside over meetings in the absence of the current President and President-Elect
- The President shall be the official spokesperson for, and preside at all meetings of the Commission.
- The President, in cooperation with the other officers, shall establish the agenda for Commission meetings.
- The President shall represent the Commission on the ESU President’s Cabinet.
- The President shall be the Kansas Board of Regents Unclassified Representative.
- The President shall serve no more than a one-year term, after which the president will take on the role of Past President.
- The President shall be a non-voting member, unless a vote is needed to break a tie.
C. President Elect
- The President Elect shall serve in the absence of the President, and in case of resignation of the President, shall assume the duties of the President.
- The President Elect, in conjunction with the President, shall be the Kansas Board of Regents Unclassified Representative.
- The President Elect shall serve no more a one-year term after which the President Elect will take on the role of President.
- The Secretary shall maintain the records of the Commission and record and distribute the minutes of the Commission meetings and general meetings.
- The Secretary shall coordinate Commission response.
- The Secretary shall serve no more than two consecutive one-year terms.
- The treasurer shall maintain the financial records of the commission to be reported at monthly meetings.
- The treasurer shall submit an annual budget for approval by the commission and serve as the liaison with the budget office.
- The treasurer shall serve no more than two consecutive one-year terms.
Section 1 Removal of Officers and Commissioners
- Members of the commission, to include officers, may be removed during the term of office for reasons of dereliction of duty, or unethical conduct in the performance of the responsibilities of office.
- Removal of Commissioners and officers during the course of the annual term shall require a two-thirds vote of the commission.
- Commissioners who resign their positions will be replaced with a Commissioner who will be appointed by the current Commission with a 2/3 majority vote.
- Officers who resign will be filled with the natural progression of officers and a new President Elect will be elected, depending on timing and how much of the terms are left. The commission reserves the right to determine the succession and election on a case by case basis.
Section 1 Meetings
- The Commission shall meet once a month during the twelve month yearly calendar
- The time and location to be announced by the Commission Secretary.
- A quorum for conducting business at any meeting shall be one more than 50% of the members of the Commission. If no quorum is present then those present have the authority to reschedule the meeting.
- Any question to be decided at a meeting shall require a majority approval of those present.
- Commissioners shall be allowed to miss one meeting annually.
- Commissioners may send a proxy to regular meetings with knowledge that the proxy has full voting rights and must meet the definition in Article 2 Section 1 of the by-laws.
- An annual meeting will be held each year in ____________________
These By-laws may be amended from time to time by a 2/3 majority vote of the members of the Commission.
Non-Discriminatory Policy: As consistent with Emporia State Policy (3AC.07 B.1)
Modified by vote of Unclassified Commission, 3/15/2015