Exploring Majors Advising Syllabus
You will learn how to:
- Understand the difference between choosing a major and planning for a career
- Take advantage of resources and opportunities ESU has to offer
- Navigate Emporia State’s academic policies, procedures, and deadlines
You can expect me to:
- Help you understand the University’s academic programs, policies, and procedures
- Discuss ways you can define and achieve your education goals
- Help you plan your academic program and schedule appropriate courses
- Refer you to other resources when appropriate
I will expect you to:
- Schedule and attend advising appointments
- Use the ESU website to explore and prepare for appointments
- Meet with me at least twice a semester
- Take responsibility for your education decisions
REQUIRED resources for the first year
WHEN should you make an appointment with me?
- At least twice a semester to discuss your progress and plan next semester’s schedule
- Anytime you have academic concerns or questions
HOW should you contact me?
Appointments (Please cancel if you can’t make it)
- To schedule an appointment, call 620-341-5421 or stop by Plumb Hall 206
- Students can schedule as many appointments as necessary
- Prepare for the meeting
- What did you do to prepare for the discussion?
- What do you want to accomplish in the meeting?
E-mail for short questions that require a short answer: email@example.com
- Use your emporia.edu e-mail account
- Use your full name and E# in the e-mail
- Use a clear subject line
- Don’t be too casual. Proofread and spell check!
- Expect a reply but not an immediate one!