Waiver Forms

The educational benefits of living on campus are such that  Emporia State University requires all full-time, first-year students to live in the residence halls (freshmen and international students). Living on campus provides easier access to campus, support through transitional issues, resources and a community

If you are a first year student and are requesting to not live on-campus you need to complete the Residency Requirement Waiver form. Students transferring from another Institution of Higher Education are not required to live with on campus, but are certainly encouraged to.  More details about requirements that must first be met to release you from the on-campus living requirement are included. There are four main reasons that waivers will be approved:

1. Age: The freshman student has graduated from high school at least one year prior to entering Emporia State University and is 19 years of age or older on or before the first day of fall classes. 

2. Family Residency: The freshman student is living in the Emporia community (no farther than 30 miles from the city of Emporia) with a member of their immediate family or legal guardian.  Immediate family is defined  as: father, mother, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, or grandparent.  Note: Failure to maintain the residency will result in loss of waiver and potential disciplinary actions.

3. Marriage: The freshman student is married on or before the first class day of fall semester. 

4. Single Parent: The freshman student is the legal, custodial parent of a dependent child.

You can find the Residency Requirement Waiver Request here. If you have any questions please contact Keri Cerda our Housing Placement & Information Coordinator at kcerda@emporia.edu.

Request for Release from Housing Contract

If you have completed a housing contract and would like to break that contract for any reason you will need to meet with either your Complex Coordinator or the Housing Placement and Information Coordinator. They will discuss with you the process to be released from your contract and give you appropriate paperwork.

Approval is not guaranteed and is dependent on meeting contract requirements. Dependent on your situation additional information or approval is required. The Director of Residential Life will make a decision on if you will be released from your contract.

International Students:

Emporia State University requires all full-time, first-year students to live in the residence halls (including international students). Please complete the housing contract as soon as possible to reserve a room.

Any International student in their first year at Emporia State who wants to be exempt from the live-in requirement policy must complete a Residency Requirement Waiver Form above. 

To know if you qualify, please read the directions on the above form or contact the Office of International Education for more information.