We are currently accepting applications for the twelve-month position of Director of Residential Life. We are strongly committed to the celebration of diversity and student development.
ESU seeks a professional who will serve as a role model, while effectively assuming responsibility for visionary leadership for one of the most significant student life programs at Emporia State University. The Director leads a staff of five professionals coordinating the entirety of the residential experience including: intentional co-curricular learning experiences; staff development; current facility improvements; new facility construction; and budget development and management. In addition to the professional staff, the department employees 16 full-time support staff and 55 students. The Director works closely with other director level positions on campus and reports the Dean of Students. ESU is a Banner system campus and uses Residential Management Systems software (RMS) to facilitate many housing administrative functions.
1. Provide leadership, vision, and strategic direction for the residence life program.
2. Oversee and guide the direction of the residence life program including supervision of the Assistant Director and secondary supervision of all related staff including Complex Coordinators and student staff.
- Focus on the continued delivery of a quality program centered on best practices, related to retention, engagement, facility management, student employee training and development, and training programs for all levels of staff.
- Develop sustainable initiatives that connect academic departments and programs to the on-campus living experience.
- Developing budgets, facility operations, and occupancy management within the housing program comprised of approximately 970 beds.
6. Maintain an outcomes and assessment focused environment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Promote Residential Life and Emporia State University in a positive and professional manner.
2. Creating and sustaining solid business processes and exceptional customer service.
- Passion for the student experience, connected to the ideals of a just society that embraces all forms of diversity and inclusion.
4. Commitment to professional development for all staff, professionalism, creativity, collaboration, and initiative.
5. Ability to multi-task, prioritize work assignments, and achieve quality outcomes.
6. Ability to develop departmental goals, objectives, budget, and strategic plan.
7. Ability to build, develop, train, and evaluate a strong leadership team committed to quality services, engaging communities, and collaborative relationships that touch many facets of the institution.
8. Effective decision making skills resulting in sustainable outcomes.
9. Solid understanding of student conduct trends with the ability to implement strategies that influence the learning and living environments into pathways for student success.
10. Excellent verbal and written communication skills allowing for positive interactions with all constituents.
11. Facilities knowledge in every aspect of a strong housing and residence life program with the ability to advise, lead, and support institutional change.
12. Solid analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of basic marketing concepts with ability to critically analyze marketing and promotional efforts.
Required: Master’s Degree in Student Personnel, Counselor Education, Educational Administration, Business, or related field and three to five years of professional experience with increasing responsibilities in the areas of student development, administration, supervision, budget development, and facilities management. Student development programming in residence halls at or above the associate or assistant director level is preferred. Successful candidate will demonstrate excellent leadership, visioning, and communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively, and sound fiscal management abilities.
Send letter of application, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references to June Coleman, e-mail: email@example.com preferred) or Emporia State University, 1 Kellogg Circle, Campus Box 4014, Emporia, KS 66801. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled, with an anticipated start date on or near July 5, 2016.
www.emporia.edu An AA/EOE institution, Emporia State University encourages minorities and women to apply. Background check required.
To learn more about our Department check out the following areas:
Check out our Mission, Vision & Values here!
Meet our current Professional Staff here!
We will be putting up information about the Search Committee soon. If you have any questions please contact June Coleman (The Search Committee Chair).