Recipes of the Month
Choosing to eat healthy does not mean you have to sacrifice on taste. The Department of Campus Recreation offers recipes that will show you how to prepare everyday foods in a healthy, tasty and creative way.
Breakfast: Fruit & Yogurt
A pinch of sugar
Nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Wash the apple, then dice.
- Peel the banana. Cut it into approximately ¼ inch slices, and then cut those in half.
- Cut the orange into approximately ½ inch-wide crescents, and then cut those in two. Remove the peel from all of the pieces.
- Mix the apple, banana, and orange in a bowl and add a pinch (or two) of sugar to the top.
- Eat with yogurt on the side, or combine it with the fruit.
Lunch: Toasted PB & H with an Apple
2 slices wheat bread
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
- Toast the two slices of bread.
- Spread peanut butter onto one toasted slice and honey onto the other. Then put them together.
- Enjoy with an apple.
Dinner: Healthy Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
Here’s what you need:
- One Tbsp. of sesame oil
- One Tbsp. of garlic
- Eight ounces of beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, or tofu
- One cup of diced carrots
- One cup of frozen peas
- Two eggs
- White pepper to taste
- Three Tbsp. of soy sauce
- Chopped green onions for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
Break down a head of cauliflower in a food processor until it’s the size of rice. Heat sesame oil over high. Add garlic and fry until fragrant. Add the beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, or tofu, and cook until 80% done. Add carrots and peas, stir until thoroughly incorporated. Push ingredients to the sides of the pan to create a well. Pour in two whisked eggs and let it set for 15 seconds. Scramble eggs and fold into the cauliflower rice. Season with white pepper and stir in soy sauce. Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Apple Oatmeal in a Jar
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- Sunrise Breakfast Smoothies
- Black Bean Breakfast Bowl
- Breakfast Cookies
- Heart Healthy Apple Muffins
- Avocado, Lettuce, & Tomato Pita Pocket
- Easy Chicken Salad
- Sweet Potatoes with Collard Greens & Adzuki Beans
- White Bean & Spinach Salad
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
- Open-Faced Italian Vegetable Sandwich with Ham or Turkey
- Rotisserie Chicken & Vegetables with Noodles
- Zucchini Rice Casserole
- Buffalo Chick Casserole
- Turkey Veggie Meatloaf Cups
- Slow Cook Chicken Fajitas Bowls
- Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
Snacks, Sides, & Desserts