Nitty Gritty Tie-Dye Run
The Nitty Gritty Tie-Dye Run is a unique five-kilometer, un-timed paint race that is going to be held at Camp Alexander on September 21, 2013. During this run participants are doused from head to toe in different colors at each kilometer! The fun continues at the finish line with a gigantic “Color Festival,” using more colored powder.
Once you have navigated the course, there will be a celebration with a photo booth so that you can get a picture of you and your friends to remember this awesome experience. Even if you aren't participating in the run, you can still come out and enjoy the music and cheer on your friends and family!
While The Tie-Dye Run event is all about fun, the 5k also focuses on promoting healthy living. This event is ideal for first-time 5k runners. We hope that this event can help make headway on the growing national focus of improving health and wellness.
The entry fee for the race is ONLY $25 for adults, and $15 for children 12 and under!! All proceeds from the event will go to the “Children’s Champion Network” which helps to provide funding to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Emporia Child Care and Camp Alexander .
How to Register
- On-line registration is now closed! You can still register the day of the event. We will have shirts available for entries the day of the event, but we are unable to garentee we will have a shirt your size. Shirt availability will be limited so come early.
- On-site registrations will be accepted the day of the event. Payment the day of the event must by cash or checks. We will be unable to process credit cards.
- If paying by check, please make checks payable to “ESU Community Hornets Fundraiser"
*In order for us to get your shirts printed before the event, online registration will close at 5:00pm, on September 13, 2013.
All participants will receive a free Nitty Gritty Tie-Dye Run T-shirts to wear while participating in the event!
Wave times: The first wave of runners will start at 9:00am. We will continue to send runners out on the course every few minutes until completed.
Location: Camp Alexander
1783 Road P5
Emporia, KS 66801
Race Length: 3.2 miles
Day of Race
Check-in will open at 8:00am (60 minutes prior to the first wave of the day. All teams and individuals must check-in and sign a participant waiver before they begin the race.
Tips and Tricks for the Tie-Dye Run
- Proceeds will benefit the Children Champions: Camp Alexander, Emporia Childcare and Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Flint Hills, Inc.
- The “color” will mostly wash out after the event. Please remember to wear clothing you wouldn’t mind getting dirty. If you would like to preserve the color in your shirt, try spraying it with vinegar and then ironing it. Otherwise, the color should mostly come out just like dirty clothes within a few washes.
- You might want to wear goggles or sunglasses for your eyes, especially if you wear contacts, in order to keep the powder from getting in your eyes.
- You’ll want to dust off before getting in your car, but it is advised to bring a towel to put down on the seat of your car.
- If you want to bring a phone or camera, it is recommended to put them in a plastic bag to keep them from getting color on them. You will be responsible for your own electronics.
Rules & Safety
The following rules and guidelines are intended to help create a fun and safe event for all participants.
- Participants must abide by all instructions given from the race staff.
- Participants must be physically able to complete the course.
- Participants assume all responsibility for all medical expenses incurred as a result of training and/or participating in Nitty Gritty Tie-Dye Run, including but not limited to
hospitalization, ambulance transportation or physician services
- We highly recommend participants wear running shoes.
- Participants should wear white to the start line.
- Finish plastered in color!
Sponsored By: Emporia State University, Union Activities Council, Associated Student Government, Community Hornets, Camp Alexander & ESU Recreation Services. For additional information about the sponsors click on the logos below.