Originally established in 1863 as Kansas State Normal, the school has gone through four name changes. It was renamed Kansas State Teachers College in 1923, and then Emporia Kansas State College in 1974. Our name became Emporia State University in 1977.
Since 1863, Emporia State University has prepared teachers in nationally acclaimed teacher education programs. It began offering business degrees as early as 1868, and the School of Library and Information Management was founded in 1902, making it the oldest school of library and information studies in the western half of the United States. Since the 1920s, courses in Liberal Arts and Sciences have been added, and today we prepare our students to take their place in a competitive and increasingly global society.