TOP 10 “DO”s AND “DON’T”s
1. DO: Demonstrate excitement and enthusiasm for their new adventure.
DON’T: Be anxious or worried. If your student is feeling apprehensive, he/she will feed off your emotions.
2. DO: Discuss expectations, both yours and your student’s, regarding college.
DON’T: Wait until the end of the semester.
3. DO: Encourage independence in your student.
DON’T: Encourage your student to return home every weekend.
4. DO: Encourage your student to seek help early.
DON’T: Contact offices/depts./professors on your student’s behalf.
5. DO: Stay in touch with your student.
DON’T: Ask if he/she is homesick.
6. DO: Visit your student.
DON’T: Relocate with the motor home and the family pet.
7. DO: Expect your student to change.
DON’T: Worry about the change; he/she is basically the same person.
8. DO: Expect “meltdown” moments. Be supportive.
DON’T: Worry too much; usually by the next morning life is back to normal.
9. DO: Ask questions.
DON’T: Ask too many.
10. DON’T: Be sad.
Congratulate yourselves on a job well done and enjoy the journey!