Explore Emporia State during Family and Friends Weekend
September 21, 2015
A 5K run and walk, a football game and Buzz Around campus will fill Family & Friends weekend Friday and Saturday, Sept. 26 and 27.
Saturday kicks off with the John Blaufuss Scholarship Family Day 5K Run and 1-Mile Walk at 8:30 a.m. Registration begins at 8 a.m. on the east side of the Memorial Union.
The third annual Buzz Around kicks off at 9 a.m. and runs until noon. Buzz Around lets participants explore a variety of activities in academic programs housed in William Allen White Library, Science Hall and Cremer Hall.
Participants can pick up their passports in the Memorial Union Bookstore or at any of the activities along the adventure route. They will search for objects in scavenger hunts, learn about historical characters, play games, play an instrument, discover our campus’ “hidden” gems and much, much more.
After completing passports, they can be turned in to the Memorial Union Bookstore, where prizes will be awarded, free student tickets to the Emporia State football game will be distributed, and participants can register to win an iPad!
Tailgating for Emporia State students and their families opens at noon in the E-Zone, north of the Milton Tennis Courts. There are other lunch options on campus including the Watering Hole at the Milton Tennis Courts and Hornet’s Nest and Hornet Express in the Memorial Union.
The Hornet football team kicks off against Northeastern State at 2 p.m. in Welch Stadium. General admission tickets cost $10 for adults and $7 for children age 4 through high school and seniors age 65 and older. Reserved seats with chair backs cost $15. Tickets are available at the stadium or can be purchased ahead of time from Athletic Ticketing, (620) 341-6378 or (877) 341-6378.
Saturday concludes with the Football Traditions Event at Jenkins Ranch outside Emporia. The event — social at 5 p.m., dinner at 6 p.m. — costs $50 per person in advance. To RSVP, Athletic Development at (620) 341 5873.
The weekend concludes Sunday back at Welch Stadium with the Emporia Walk for Hunger on the Zola Witten Track. Formerly known as the CROP Walk, the walk will be five miles — 20 laps around the track. Participants are asked to gather pledges based on the number of laps they walk. They also are asked to bring non-perishable food items.
Of the donations, 100 percent of the food and 90 percent of the funds raised will go to those in need in Emporia and Lyon County through four agencies — Abundant Harvest, Corky’s Cupboard at Emporia State, Food for Kids and Salvation Army. The remaining 10 percent will go to a hunger project outside the area.
General Assembly kicks off fall semester
August 12, 2015
"The Adaptive University in Motion" is the theme as Interim President Dr. Jackie Vietti welcomes students, faculty and staff to the opening of the fall 2015 semester at Emporia State University. The ...
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site