I'm a Hornet from President Shonrock — October 29, 2013October 29, 2013
- Great Day to be a Hornet; the Kansas Legislative Bus Tour of 4-year universities began at Emporia State (October 22nd); many THANKS to the Emporia community, alumni, and students for Telling our Story; over 100 members of the Hornet family joined the 30+ legislators for lunch in the MU Skyline Room.
- What True Grit (might have) Looked Like, the photographs of F.M. Steele, was the theme of Professor Jim Hoy, Center for Great Plains Studies, The Big Read presentation at the Kansas City Public Library; co-sponsored by the ESU Alumni Association. Over 100 alums and friends attended the presentation and reception!
- As of mid-October 2013, the Now & Forever: Campaign for Emporia State University has raised $19,105.103; Stingers Up!
- Gould-Evans presented several options regarding either a new South, Central, or North entrance as part of ESU’s campus master plan; common features included new housing, renovations to current academic facilities, new facility, potential new entrances North, South, and Central of campus, increased Flint Hills type landscaping, and potential development on Commercial Street (Main Street).
- Dual-degree in pre-engineering and engineering (3+2) between Emporia State and Wichita State was signed in Wichita by WSU President John Bardo and ESU President Michael Shonrock; last fall 2012 ESU established a similar memorandum of understanding with Kansas State.
- The 150th year celebration of Homecoming 2013 (October 7th-13th) attracted over 11,500 guests and the ESU Alumni Association estimates at economic impact of over $4.2 million for the Emporia community!
- ESU is serving as a Beta site for a new online transcript ordering solution; Registration and Information Technology staff are partnering with The Clearinghouse and software company Ellucian!
- USA Today’s special edition of NASA’s Future in Space included, page 79, a half-page I’M A Hornet advertisement featuring Rachel Hovery, ESU Chemistry & Physics major and NASA Space Grant Recipient. Also featured are alumni Racheal Lane Tush (chemistry), Lynn Lefebvre (earth science) and Courtney Knaup (physics). The augmented reality advertisement included instructions how to download the Layar app.
- Once again, our Undergraduate Admissions office hosted a recent Black & Gold event with standing room only in MU’s Webb Hall, 225+ prospective students and family members; directors, deans, and even the president were called upon to set up additional tables and chairs for our guests!
- Hornet Football team are now 7-0 after a 52-21 win over Lindenwood; Quarterback Brent Wilson is now ranked second in single season touchdown passes and Receiver Ray Ray Davis is now sixth in single season touchdown catches at Emporia State; third straight game over 50 points! Next game against Missouri Western on November 2nd, first of three games against national ranked teams.
- The Granada Theatre and Emporia State’s Memorial Union served as the venues for some 200 professional attending the annual Tilford Conference on Diversity and Multiculturalism; our own Professor Sheryl Lidzy, also serves as the ESU President of the Faculty, served as the conference committee chairperson!
- FHTC President Dean Hollenbeck and ESU President Michael Shonrock participated with Super Test Day at Emporia High School (October 21st) meeting and talking to primarily HS freshman about postsecondary education; Dean and Michael are convinced that at least 2 of the nearly 400 freshman took notes!
- The October 2013 Kansas Board of Regents Meeting included a special dinner between the Regents, campus CEO’s, and their respective Alumni Association Board and Foundation Trustee leaders; our own ESU Foundation President DenaSue Potestio and ESU Alumni Relations Executive Director Tyler Curtis facilitated the meetings!
- First ever Nitty Gritty Tie-Dye Run, some 300 participants from the campus and community, raised $3,948.53 for Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Camp Alexander, and Emporia Childcare.
- ESU’s Night at the Boulevard Brewery (Kansas City) sponsored by the Alumni Association KC Chapter hosted over 150 alums and friends and included welcomes from Dean Kristie Ogilvie, Provost David Cordle, and President Michael Shonrock.
- The ESU Memorial Union hosted the Kansas Republican Retreat, coordinated by Speaker Pro Tem, Peggy Mast.
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site