I'm a Hornet from President Shonrock — Sept. 30, 2013September 30, 2013
Remember, The BUZZ is now I’m a Hornet.
- 6,033 reasons it is a GREAT day to be a HORNET; Fall enrollment!
- The employee Dependent/Spouse Tuition Waiver program noted an increase in participation/enrollment for Fall semester 2013; total of 53 participants, 41 undergraduates (38 dependent and 3 spouses) and 12 graduates (2 dependent and 10 spouse, $94,520.80 investment!
- The Board of County Commissioners of Lyon County (Kansas) appointed Michael Shonrock to serve on the Newman Regional Health Board of Trustees 2013-2016, Michael also serving on Strategic Planning Committee.
- Our own School of Business Jason Rowland, BSB 2010 & MBA 2012 scored the Highest in the State of Kansas during the first testing window of the CPA examination.
- Our Financial Aid & Scholarship office will be hosting the I’m a Hornet with Attitude of Gratitude today in the MU Preston Room, along with the ESU Foundation, assisting scholarship recipients writing thank you notes to generous donors!
- The William Allen White Libraries recently held a reception to highlight the Muslim Journeys Bookcase, supported by a grant from the American Library Association and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- The new website for the Now & Forever: The Campaign for Emporia State University is up and running, www.nowandforever.org.
- Over 1,300 high school students visited the campus for the annual ESU Marching Festival Update, this year 15 different bands (last year 3 bands).
- SkyPrint, print from anywhere on campus, has added the Memorial Union and Newman Division of Nursing Library (http://sky.emporia.edu/SitePages/Home.aspxzzz).
- Never BORED serving on the BOARD for campus and community groups; last week Michael Shonrock attended the Chamber Board of Directors, ESU Foundation Executive & Finance Trustees, Newman Regional Board of Trustees, United Way of the Flint Hills Board of Trustees, and Alumni Board of Directors.
- Emporia State Football set four MIAA records with their 54-38 victory over Central Oklahoma; 699 yards of total offense including Sophomore QB Brent Wilson’s 522 passing yards and receiver Ray Ray Davis’ five touchdown receptions. Wilson was named MIAA Offensive Athlete of the Week.
- Artists, formerly known as Gabe & Benny, now Ten2One, have given Emporia State the rights to their hype song, “Right Now” and will soon release their new “Right Now” video to promote the Hornet Nation.
- The School of Business announced their new Online MBA program, beginning Spring 2013, and the new program was highlighted in The Emporia Gazette, Topeka-Capital Journal, and Topeka’s WIBW.
- Compared to last fall’s WEEK 5 for Undergraduate Admissions, 401 high school seniors have applied to become part of the Fall 2014 freshman class, up 119 students!
- The renovated Richel Learning Space has re-opened in Cremer Hall; wireless network connectivity, mobile device charging stations, seminar rooms, video-conferencing, white-board walls, quiet places to study, and a 40-seat teaching laboratory (see below).
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site