Homecoming musical opens Oct. 10September 30, 2013
Joe DiPietro’s All Shook Up! kicks off our 100th season of theatre at Emporia State University. A musical comedy by the writer of “Memphis” and “I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change,” “All Shook Up!” is built around hit songs made famous by Elvis Presley.
Borrowing some familiar plot devices from Shakespeare, the score highlights classics like “Heartbreak Hotel,” “Love Me Tender,” “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Can’t Help Falling in Love” and the title song.
The play is set in a small American town in 1955 where a young female mechanic, Natalie (Kayce Holoubek, Emporia) who dreams of true love works in her father’s (Brandon Jensen, Junior, Salina) car shop. Natalie and Chad (Nathan Dale Short, Paola, Sophomore) form an alliance that inspires the town to open its eyes to the magic of romance and the power of rock & roll. Along the way, Chad recruits Natalie’s lovesick best friend, Dennis (Ethan Platt, Junior, Gardener) to be his sidekick in pursuit of the local museum director, Sandra (Annie Rosenbrook, Senior, Kansas City).
The town's mayor, Matilda (Sherri Allen, Senior, Independence) has instituted ordinances against music, public displays of affection, and anything rock ‘n roll. While keeping a stern eye over the town, the sheriff Earl (Paul Clements, Emporia) follows the mayor wherever she goes. Sylvia (Crystal Foxworth, Senior, Junction City) runs the local Honky Tonk where she and her daughter Lorraine (Kylie Geiman, Junior, Louisburg) work to earn an honest living. Much to Sylvia and Matilda's chagrin, Lorraine falls hopelessly in love with Dean (Evan Eisenbarth, Sophomore, Cassoday), the mayor’s only son.
Other Cast Members Include:
- Angela Bartlow (Freshman, Topeka)
- Rebecca Bolerjack (Freshman, Olathe)
- Emmanuel Cockrell (Junior, Junction City)
- Nick Coyan (Sophomore, Lenexa)
- Kortney Foth (Freshman, Peabody)
- Kate Freelend (Junior, Ft. Worth, Texas)
- Tyler Lang (Freshman, Wichita)
- Sydney Main (Freshman, Emporia)
- Andrew McCutcheon (Junior, Gardner)
- Landon Noll (Junior, Winchester)
- Michael Vander Linden (Junior, Burlington)
- Alayne Weber (Freshman, Topeka)
Costume Crew Members Include:
- Ann Baldridge (Freshman, Topeka)
- Suzanne Carlgren (Junior, Concordia)
- Allison Demeyer (Freshman, Mulvane)
- Deidre Elrod (Freshman, Madison)
- Allyson Henry (Freshman, Salina)
Scenery Running Crew Include:
- Colter Lemmon (Sophomore, Crawford, NE)
- Michael Foster (Freshman, Burlington)
- Lexi Riddle (Freshman, Shawnee)
- Lucas Shenk (Junior, Meriden)
- Mark Warner (Senior, Salina)
Scenery Construction Crew Includes:
- Josh Agnew (Freshman, Louisburg)
- Chandler Archer-McGinnis (Junior, Topeka)
- Joel Bowers (Freshman, Wichita)
- John Lloyd Stafford III (Junior, Independence)
- Rochele Watson (Sophomore, Oak Grove, MO)
- Courtney Romero (Freshman, Kansas City)
- Vanessa Sherman (Sophomore, Derby)
Box Office — Cameron Reynolds (Freshman, Louisburg)
“All Shook Up!” is under the direction of Jim and Lindy Bartruff. Penny Speedie is the music director. Set Designer Nancy Pontius brings the town to life with assistance from Senior John Alfrey (Topeka). Amanda Dura is designing the costumes. Ron Fowlkes is the lighting designer, and Indy Darbro is in charge of the sound design. Doug Dion is the technical director. Aubrey Near (Senior, Independence) and Samantha Lambert (Junior, Rantoul) are the stage managers.
“All Shook Up!” runs Thursday, Oct. 10 through Sunday, Oct. 13 in Albert Taylor Hall at Emporia State University. The Thursday, Friday and Saturday performances begin at 7:30 p.m. The Sunday performance is a 2 p.m. matinee. Call the university box office at 620-341-6378 for tickets.
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site