I'm A Hornet from President ShonrockAugust 13, 2014
- The creator of Corky, Paul Edwards, is designing Corky’s nephew; a child-size mascot to be launched in the Spring 2015. Paul’s 100th Birthday will be celebrated with alumni and friends in Southern California on January 12, 2015!
- Shirley Morrow, Fiscal Analyst, Kansas Legislative Research, and Cindy Denton, Principal Analyst, Division of Budget, visited ESU on August 7 to discuss legislative and budget processes for the upcoming year.
- Josiah D’Albini, B.S. ’14 in Sociology, was an Ellsworth C. Dent Man of the Year Award Finalist. Ellsworth, graduated in 1922, was a Founding Father of Delta Chapter of Sigma Tau Gamma.
- Emporia State University Foundation staff members rang Silent Joe on July 30 to celebrate another record-breaking year of philanthropy with a total of $15,532,470 during this past fiscal year.
- The Emporia State Foundation recently presented to the President’s Cabinet new detailed fundraising impact reports highlighting the NOW (non-deferred) gifts and FOREVER (deferred) gifts during the past fiscal year.
- Seven ESU Ambassadors recently attended the CASE/ASAP National Conference in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikki Metz ’95 & ’02, Alumni Programs Coordinator and Ambassador Advisor, served as a conference presenter.
- The President’s Senior Leadership Retreat included a presentation from Dr. Peter Cohen from the Kansas Leadership Center on adaptive leadership. The afternoon focused on operationalizing the new Strategic Plan by sharing examples of objectives and performance indicators.
- There will be a Hornet Rally Swarm the Nest on Wednesday, September 3 at Welch Stadium. Plan to attend as the Hornet Nation prepares for the first football game on Thursday night.
- Congratulations to our new freshman recipients of the James Patterson Scholarships ($6,000 each): Sarah Allison from Meriden, Olivia Bisges from Liberty (Missouri), Tiffany Boulware from Raytown (Missouri), Korin Koch from Salina, Amanda Leadbetter from Ottawa, Taylor Roberts from Wamego, Cassidy Tilden from Topeka, and Shawyna Towle from Overland Park.
- Newman Regional Health recently hosted its annual Denim & Diamonds auction in the Memorial Union Webb Hall. This year’s successful community fundraiser will net around $55,000, an increase of over $4,000 from last year!
- The east entry to Cremer Hall has a new look and a new learning commons area. Room 416 has also been remodeled as a new high-tech computer lab.
- Corky Plus, an undergraduate admissions effort to attract new freshman from Missouri and Oklahoma has seen increases from both states. Missouri increased from 13 to 30 and Oklahoma 6 to 19. Additionally, Kansas counties have increased from 102 to 120!
- The COLLABORATE 2014 Annual Report, which contains brief annual reports and updates from Emporia Public Schools, Emporia State University and Flint Hills Technical College can be viewed at www.emporiaeducation.org.
- Dr. Kristie Ogilvie, School of Business Dean, has been appointed to Vice Chair for Women Administrators in Management Education (WAME), an affinity group for the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- Special thanks to Allison Anderson-Harder (ESU alum and Principal of Walnut Elementary) and Erin Blocker (ESU Health Promotion Instructor) who help coach a group of 2nd – 5th grade runners at Walnut Elementary on Tuesday mornings.
- During this past semester, our Hornet Nation athletes achieved an overall 3.17 grade point average with over 20 student-athletes achieving a 4.00 grade point average!
- ESU faculty Matt Seimears, Dusti Howell, Chris Pettit and Joseph Kern recently spent time with Garden City middle and high school teachers to update them on new pedagogical strategies to teach STEM subjects.
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site