SILENT NO MORE the tagline for the Now & Forever: Campaign for Emporia State University announced a $605,500 cash gift from Bobbi and Steve Sauder on Wednesday, July 10th; Steve also serves as the campaign’s Champion for Athletics. Steve’s father, Earl provided the lead gift for the ESU Sauder Alumni Center.
- Marketing & Media Relations has completed their survey of faculty/staff/students along with alumni/community regarding a new visual identity for Emporia State to be launched the beginning of Spring semester 2014.
- The KVOE BUZZ, bi-monthly local radio show hosted by Michael Shonrock on Thursday, July 11th officially welcomed the new Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dr. David Cordle (recently from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington) and new Dean for the School of Business, Dr. Kristie Ogilvie (recently from California State University at San Bernardino). David and Kristie have purchased homes in Emporia.
- The Flinthills Mall was host for the TWINKIE Festival on Monday, July 15th; Hostess announced the reopening of their Emporia plant last month. Michael Shonrock was not among community members participating in the Twinkie Shake Dance, Twinkie Eating Contest, Twinkie Song Contest, or Twinkie Costume Contest!
- Compared to last year at this date, Emporia State’s FALL 2013 ENROLLMENT is up 58 new freshman and 75 new graduate students and preliminary data on freshman retention (Fall 2012 to Fall 2013) is up 3% or 72.9%. Summer sessions 2013 was up 77 students.
- DenaSue Potestio, ESU Foundation President and Michael Shonrock participated in the INGRAM’s 14th Higher Education Industry Outlook on Tuesday, July 9th hosted on the KU Edwards campus.
- Gould Evans campus master planning consultants along with Paulien & Associates met with ESU Campus Master Planning Committee on Monday, July 15th to present an update on the planning process and present preliminary findings regarding classroom utilization; additionally campus infrastructure and interior/exterior of facilities were discussed.
- NCAA Division II congratulated @ESUSports and #stingersup on Friday, July 13th for receiving the most votes for Twitter’s BEST HASHTAG, remember to use your pinky finger for StingersUp!
- The LIBRARY continues its renovation of the first floor East to create a new 24/5 Learning Community, 24 hours a day from Monday thru Friday, to be opened during the Spring semester 2013.
- CampusLabs™ and Emporia State has created a new virtual community for new and returning students called #HornetLife that links with Facebook, Twitter, etc. and now links with the updated ESU Mobile app; nearly 2,000 students have logged onto #HornetLife posting 300 registered student organization events and recording nearly 1,000 of community service hours over the past months.