Emporia State partners with Google to provide students enhanced email servicesMay 2, 2012
Students at Emporia State University will gain email capacity and functionality once their email accounts are moved to Google’s Gmail platform in early Fall of this year.
Students will immediately see benefits after the move from Novell GroupWise:
- Vastly larger mailbox sizes, with no message expiration date. Gmail mailboxes will be 25GB, which provides 250 times more space for emails and attachments. GroupWise accounts could only retain 100MB worth of messages and for no longer than 180 days.
- Access to Google Docs & Calendar for easy collaboration with peers and faculty.
- More effective integration with mobile devices. Many apps are available to link mobile device to Google’s Gmail at no cost.
- Students can keep their new Gmail account for as long as they like after graduation. GroupWise accounts are limited to two years after the last enrolled semester.
The move is part of a long-range plan to move all Emporia State email accounts off Novell GroupWise. The first phase of this plan came during the second half of 2011 when faculty and staff accounts were moved to the Outlook email platform through Microsoft Exchange.
Technology & Computing Services will continue to send announcements as the project progresses to help guide students and employees throughout this transition. Information will also be made available on the TCS Helpdesk website, http://helpdesk.emporia.edu.
- Arts (Entertainment) 
- Athletics (Sports) 
- Books (Entertainment) 
- Business 
- College Basketball (Sports) 
- College Football (sports) 
- College Sports (Sports) 
- Computing (Technology) 
- Economy (Business) 
- Education 
- Environment (Science) 
- Health 
- Internet (Technology) 
- Science 
- Technology 
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site