Golden Ball connects Emporia State student-athletes with communityApril 12, 2011
When they committed to compete for Emporia State University, student-athletes didn’t realize that dance lessons were in their future. But when they decided to reach out to their local supporters with a dance, lessons became necessary.
The fifth annual Golden Ball, a dance for those 55 and older, will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, April 14, in the Colonial Ballroom of ESU’s Memorial Union. This year’s dance will feature music from the 1950s and ’60s. ESU student-athletes participating in the ball learned dances from that era at Sherry’s Dance Workshop in Emporia.
“It’s really awesome just getting to know folks around the community who come to our games and support us,” said Kirsten Ford, president of Student Athlete Advisory Committee. “It’s a way to give back.”
Ford, a senior on the women’s tennis team, has attended the Golden Ball for three years.
"This event continues to grow each year,” said Carmen Leeds, associate director of athletics advisor for SAAC, which sponsors the event. “We are grateful to the community for their help in putting on a special evening for the seniors in the Lyon County area."
The event is free, and transportation is available from L-CAT. For those who choose to drive, the Lions Club is providing valet parking.
Corporate sponsors include Clint Bowyer’s 79 Fund, Emporia Community Foundation, Emporia’s Radio Stations, The Emporia Gazette, Holiday Resort, Horizon Plaza, Presbyterian Manor, Medical Arts Clinic, Newman Regional Health Foundation, Wyndam Place, Sterling House, Dave’s Pumping Service and Roberts-Blue-Barnett Funeral Home. Additional services have been donated by Walgreen’s, Sharon’s Designs, Emporia Floral and Riverside Gardens.
The student-athletes planning to participate are:
- Baseball: Michael Cotter, Justin Maxson, Joe (William) Hosey, Karsten Strelioff,
- Cheerleading: Serena Randolph and Hannah Burris.
- Football: Ben McKaig, Keith Maples, Matt Coursen, Tyler Eckenrode, Brian Dorsey, Jase Hubert, Ray Ray (Vincent) Davis.
- Men’s basketball: Robert Pettis, Matt Nelson.
- Soccer: Kat Goscha, Lindsey Allen, Holli Schletzbaum, Jessica Decker.
- Softball: Angela Mahan, Karley Schmelzer.
- Stinger: Dani McConville, Marielle Melvin.
- Tennis: Kirsten Ford, Alex Crowe, Ethan Deckert.
- Track: Will Hohmeier, Kathryn Davison, Ashley Watkins, Lucas San Martin, Jennifer Robinson, Josh (Kelvin) Newland, Doug Marshall.
- Volleyball: Katelyn Schmidtberger, Katelyn Kaiser.
- Women’s basketball: Jocelyn Cummings.
- Dual-sport athletes: Brittney Miller, volleyball and women’s basketball; Frederick Avery, track and football.
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site