I'm a Hornet from President ShonrockMarch 26, 2014
1. Emporia State Lady Hornets coach Jory Collins has been named the Russell Athletic/WBCA NCAA Division II Region 7 Coach of the Year. He is one of eight finalists for the inaugural Pat Summitt Trophy to be presented to the 2014 Russell Athletic/WBCA NCAA Division II National Coach of the Year.
2. Twenty teams of students from Emporia State University and Flint Hills Technical College are moving to the second round of the 3D Emporia competition, which stands for Dream It- Design It- Develop It. Judges selected the group of semi-finalists from a group of 31 teams, and the judges considered concept, feasibility, market potential, business model and competition in the selection for this venture business contest.
3. An ESU police officer has started bike patrol on campus.
4. Committee members for the Vice President search include: Kristie Ogilvie (Dean of the School of Business); Ray Lauber (Human Resources); Mike Erickson (IT); Karla Ingold (Classified Assembly); Bobbi Pearson (Physical Plant); Mary Mingenback (Fiscal Affairs); Bob Warren (Foundation Trustee); and Jim Williams (Vice President). The committee has received 30 applications, and will conduct Skype interviews between April 2nd and April 4th. They anticipate that final candidates will be on campus the week of April 21st and April 27th.
5. Committee members for the Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean search include: Marvin Harrell, Nate Terrell, Jean Dedonder, Melissa Bailey, Mel Storm, Nancy Pontius and Kathy Ermler. The committee has received 56 applications, and will conduct phone interviews between March 26th and March 31st. They anticipate that final candidates will be on campus the week of April 21st.
6. Check out ESU’s draft You Tube video promoting the competencies associated with the Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awLk_as99rY.
7. The Teacher Luncheon Program (TAP) completed lunch for teachers and staff in 11 schools and received a personal thank you letter to volunteers from Principal Dale Brungardt at Ellsworth High School! Thank you to the TAP volunteers for your dedication to this program!
8. Division II officiate Dan Curran sent a note to ESU Athletic Director Kent Weiser about an outstanding Emporia State athlete, Payson Maydew. Payson was recognized for being polite, well mannered, and a pleasure to work with. Way to go Payson for being a great representative of Emporia State!
9. On March 13, Standard and Poors reaffirmed their previous “A/Stable” ratings for long term bonds at ESU. They also reaffirmed a previous “A-/Stable” rating for a 2005 Housing bond. ESU was pleased with these reaffirmations. Nationally, some bonds are being downgraded in outlook, partially due to smaller state appropriations being devoted to higher education.
10. Gould Evans, Master Plan Consultant to ESU, continues to forge ahead refining the ESU Master Plan discussion for presentation to the University and KBOR during early May. Multiple focus group discussions have occurred during late February and early March to obtain additional input and information on selected topics for the Master Plan. They will be presenting a preliminary draft report to the campus community on April 7.
11. On Monday, March 31, ESU’s Executive Assistants will attend a day of “retreat” at the Kansas Leadership Center in Wichita.
12. ESU recently released an update to their mobile app, receiving great reviews.
13. April 1st may be known as April Fool’s, but no fooling, Emporia State’s address is changing from Commercial Street to Kellogg Circle, recognizing the first president and our 150th year celebration as an university.
14. On Thursday, March 13, Emporia State celebrated the generosity of DeWayne & Sherry Backhus and their seven-figure planned gift to Now & Forever: The Campaign for Emporia State University! The Backhuses’ gift will benefit the Department of Physical Sciences and student-athletes.
15. Judy Anderson is serving as Emporia State University’s representative on the Flint Hills Economic Development District (FHEDD) Board. This Governing Board has been recommended by the Federal Economic Development Administration (EDA) that postsecondary education institutions be included on the board. The Governing Board will approve all budgets, applications for funding, grant agreements, and contracts of over $5,000.00. The Board will meet on a monthly basis.
16. SLIM Dean Gwen Alexander and Interim Associate Dean Andrew Smith have recently returned from the first SLIM study trip to London. Fifteen master’s level students from SLIM cohorts in Kansas, Colorado, Oregon and Utah got a first-hand look at librarianship and archives practices in the UK. The trip was very successful and was organized with assistance from the Office of International Education.
18. ESU President Michael Shonrock, Provost David Cordle, VP Ray Hauke and the coaches and staff of the ESU Athletics Department hosted Dr. Larry Rice, President of Rogers State University of Claremore, Oklahoma, and 20 representatives of the RSU Athletics Department for a day-long meeting as part of Rogers State’s application to NCAA Division II. Emporia State was asked by the NCAA and Rogers State to serve as the mentor institution for Rogers State.
19. Emporia State draws on its own resources to not only encourage scholarship gifts from staff members, but to involve them in the production of a video promoting the annual Campus Campaign. See how many faces you can recognize: http://youtu.be/NW8e8FKQG4U
20. A triumphant performance of a specially commissioned overture...an elegant dinner served in historic surroundings...and a club-like atmosphere where guests danced to a jazz combo. It sounds like a spectacular evening, doesn't it? Emporia State University put the finishing touches on its sesquicentennial celebration with a Grand Finale Gala Saturday, February 15, 2014. View highlights of the evening here: http://youtu.be/Vd8Z7EzJwDs
21. The video of Ten2One’s “Right Now” has been viewed more than 16,000 times since its Feb. 20 debut. The hype song created by students Gabriel Andrews and Benny Bowden has become the anthem for Now & Forever: The Campaign for Emporia State University. Take a look here: http://youtu.be/oLvoWSGgtL4