Hornet Revue - About Us
The Emporia State Hornet Revue is a select band of 13-15 musicians that has developed into the most versatile, high-energy, well-known musical group on campus. Student leadership and active student group involvement have made this group truly exceptional.
- Students will gain a broad range of experience playing music in popular styles, Ie: Jazz, 80's Rock, 70's Funk, Latin, Hip-hop, 90's Rock, Pop, Disco, Metal to name a few.
- Students will learn performance aspects of playing a variety of popular styles; this includes section balance techniques, articulation distinction and phrasing. This will be addressed in each piece they perform.
- Students will learn to adapt their playing for the different venues in which they will be performing: Performing without amplification, Performing with amplification in a large arena, Performing with amplification in a smaller intimate setting, and a non amplified studio recording sound.
- Students will learn to work together as a team to facilitate setup and tear down of the band, including setting up the sound amplification system.
- Student will learn the proper ways to maintain and care for the equipment.
- Students will perform in a variety of settings including; outdoor concerts, arena performances, stage band settings, and professional style recording sessions.
- Students will gain leadership skills and organizational skills by performing the necessary duties within the ensemble.
- Students are expected to demonstrate the professional standards of learning individual parts, ensemble participation, accountability, and a collegial work ethic.
The Hornet Revue instrumentation is:
- Alto Sax 1
- Alto Sax 2
- Tenor Sax
- Bari Sax
- Trumpet 1
- Trumpet 2
- Trumpet 3
- Horn or Mellophone
- Lead Trombone
- Bass Trombone
- Electric Bass