Emporia State University has many outstanding programs to offer. As a member of one of the most outstanding performance groups on campus, you will be carrying on many ESU traditions of high standards, excellence, and pride. The Emporia Marching Hornets consists of students from virtually every department on campus. With this unique diversity and campus-wide enthusiasm, we can achieve incredible levels of success. The environment at Emporia State University and in the EMH will challenge you to reach beyond your potential. Although your peers can tell you better than I, these experiences can positively impact your life forever.
Our common goal is to provide you with an incredibly fun-filled, productive, efficient, and exciting atmosphere. In the EMH, you will be asked to consistently strive for excellence, achieve high standards, while having so much fun you may never recover. It will be your hard work and dedication to the high standards that enable the EMH to maintain successes of the past and achieve new levels of success in the upcoming season. As a member of this organization, your individual efforts will determine what we can achieve as a whole.
The EMH have many different types of students participating. Over half of the band majors in some other degree besides music. The EMH is great opportunity to meet people, to continue playing your instrument, develop leadership skills, and be a part of a long standing tradition at Emporia State University.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Marching band camp starts a week before classes begin. Colorguard and drumline will have a 3 day pre-camp prior to the full band camp.
- Class time for the first eight weeks is Monday – Wednesday – Friday from 3:00 to 5:00.
- Class time for the second eight weeks is Monday and Wednesday from 4:00 to 5:00 and Friday 3:00 to 5:00.
- There will be five-six home games that the EMH will perform. These games happen on various Saturdays in the fall term.
- The shows will consist of a pre-game sequence and a half-time sequence.
- The EMH will provide entertainment for the fans in the stands during the game.
- The EMH will perform theme based shows in a corps style.
- The EMH does not require an audition to be in the drumline or the colorguard. However during the pre-camp we will listen and watch everyone for placement within the sections.
- The following are the scholarships available through the marching band for 2010
- 1st Year - $200.00
- 2nd Year - $250.00
- 3rd Year - $300.00
- 4th + Year - $400.00
- For more information on the schedule, please consult Dr. Woodworth or visit the EMH Calendar.
Athletic Band Director: Dr. William Woodworth
Color Guard Instructor and Choreographer: Breanna Williams