The Office of Multicultural Affairs seeks to Empower Emporia State University students from historically disenfranchised communities to improve their college experience by increasing access to academic, civic leadership, and cultural diversity training opportunities. Assists in the programming of cultural events on campus which promote diversity awareness, cultural pride, and collaborative efforts between registered student organizations of seemingly distinct interests. The office seeks to provide a culture of a civic dialogue and a campus-wide “safe space” for students to develop their cultural identity without fear of harassment and with the support of others striving to do the same. We also seek to continue working with members of Emporia’s diverse community groups to improve the cultural empathy all of Emporians and the quality of life for students attending Emporia State University.
The Division of Multicultural Affairs Strives to:
- Create and maintain an environment that promotes cross-cultural understanding.
- Ameliorate and eliminate barriers to students, faculty, and staff’s interactions across racial, ethnic and cultural boundaries.
- Foster understanding, tolerance and appreciation of similarities and differences among multi-cultures, groups and religions.
- Institute changes in the curriculum, program and student affairs to provide and to enhance students’ knowledge, and understanding of diverse groups, cultures and racial/ethnic persons.
- Increase the number of under-represented groups as undergraduate, professional and graduate students from the four (4) federally recognized minority groups (African American, Native American, Hispanics and Asian Americans).
- Recruit and retain under-represented racial minorities and diverse populations as members of the faculty, staff, administration and student populations.
- Increase scholarships for racial/ethnic minority groups.
- Promote a minority presence throughout the university to include but not limited to: university governance, college & department committees, and administration
- Improve the campus climate to foster nurturing, acceptance, and respect of racial/ethnic minorities and diverse individuals.
- Support and maintain programs which present a variety of cross-cultural opportunities for all constituents of Emporia State University.
- Promote increased understanding and relations between the University and the community to enhance communication and appreciation of racial/ethnic/cultural groups in order to ameliorate racial tensions and breakdown barriers.