Daphne's Book. Mary Downing Hahn
Publisher: Bantam Skylark, 1983. Awarded: 1986.
Synopsis: Jessica is paired with the unpopular Daphne for a Write-a-Book class project. The girls become friends while working on the project and Jessica gets to know Daphne better. But, Jessica discovers a deep dark secret about Daphne. Should she tell someone if it will help Daphne in the end?
Themes: popularity, friendship, books and reading, authorship, family problems.
Author Information: http://www.childrensbookguild.org/hahn.html
Discussion Questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3.
1. If your friend had a deep, dark secret would you tell? Why or why not?
2. What do you think happened to Daphne after she moved to Maine?
3. Could Jessica have done anything else to help Jessica? What?
1. You can gain lots of writing tips from this novel. Create a poster or brochure with
writing tips you have learned. Standard 5, Benchmark 3.
2. Make your own Write-a-Book project. Become an author. Standard 5, Benchmark 3.
3. Watch the video "A Visit with Mary Downing Hahn" from Kit Morse Productions, Houghton Mifflin, 1994. Make Ms. Hahn part of an author study and encourage the reading of her other titles. Standard 5, Benchmark 1.