The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam. Huynh Quang Nhuong
Publisher: Harper and Row, 1982. Awarded: 1985.
Synopsis: The author tells the true stories of growing up in a village in the central highlands of Vietnam. He tells of the exotic wildlife around him and the family who cared for him.
Themes: Vietnam, childhood, autobiography, family, animal life.
Author Information: http://www.harperchildrens.com/hch/parents/teachingguides/nhuong.pdf
Discussion Questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3.
1. What was your favorite memory or story?
2. Do you think a monkey would make a good pet? Why or why not?
3. Huynh had to deal with the death of his water buffalo. Have you ever lost a pet? How did you deal with it?
1. Research Vietnam at http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/vm.html Standard 1, Benchmark 5.
2. Draw a map of Vietnam and mark where the stories happened. Standard 5, Benchmark 3.
3. Write a story about a happy or exciting memory of your own. Standard 5, Benchmark 3.