The Magic of the Glits. C. (Carole) S. Adler
PUBLISHER, 1979, Awarded 1982.
Synopsis: Jeremy is a twelve-year-old boy spending the summer on Cape Cod with his leg in a cast. If that is not bad enough, he also is put in charge of a seven-year-old girl whose mother has just died. The story tells how Jeremy uses his imagination to lift the spirits of Lynette through the creation of the Glits, magical creatures who can grant wishes. His concern for Lynette becomes who will she live with when summer is over and what wish has she made.
Themes: Friendship, Parent-child relationships, Loss of parents
Author: C. (Carole) S. Adler lives in Tucson, Arizona, but spent most of her life in upstate New York. For seven Years she was an English teacher at Niskayuna Middle School in New York, but has been a fulltime writer since the publication of her first book, THE MAGIC OF THE GLITS. She is a grandmother, loves to play tennis and is a nature lover. Other books she has written have also received awards, and her books have been published in many foreign countries.
Discussion questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3
1. What does Jeremy tell Lynette you have to be to see a Glit? Had Jeremy every seen any Glits? (You have to be a very good person. No.)
2. What does Jeremy discover about the Glits as his story unfolds? (That his imagination seems to be unlimited and his tongue has a will of its own.)
3. What did Lynette wish for and did it surprise Jeremy? (To be always Jeremy’'s friend. Yes.)
1. Chart words that describe self-centered, then list words that illustrate caring. Standard 3, Benchmark 1.
2. Create an imaginary friend, which should include a name, description and/or what the magical being can do or not do. Standard 5, Benchmark 3
3. Write a paragraph on what makes a good friend. Standard 3, Benchmark 2