The Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper. Jean Van Leeuwen
Publisher: Dial Press, 1975; Awarded: 1978.
Synopsis: Marvin the Mouse and his two pals move into a dollhouse located in Macy's toy department at Christmas time. The store Santa secretly befriends them, leaving them food to find. One day Santa doesn't come to work, and talk is that he was kidnapped. The mice set about plotting to get Santa back for the children of New York City.
Author Information: Fifth Book of Junior Authors and Illustrators, p. 317
Discussion Questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3.
1. What would you do in a department store all alone for one night?
2. What was the Gimbal Santa's motive for kidnapping the Macy Santa?
3. What do you think happens to the mice after the story ends?
1. Make wanted posters of the outlaw Santa. Standard 3, Benchmark 1.
2. Watch Miracle on 34th Street , a video about another department store Santa. Compare and contrast the two Santa's. Standard 5, Benchmark 1.
3. Write a mystery story using the elements the mice discussed in the story: motive, suspect, ransom. Standard 5, Benchmark 1.