Socks. Beverly Cleary
Publisher: Morrow & Co. 1976; Awarded: 1976.
Synopsis: The life of Socks, a pampered house cat, changes with the arrival of a new baby. Told from the cat's viewpoint, the reader learns all about the cat's adventures, trials and troubles with a baby in the family. Although his life is turned upside down, Socks discovers a new friend.
Themes: animals- cats, families/ relationships, humorous
Discussion questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3.
1. Do you have a younger brother or sister? How did you feel when they came home from the hospital? How did you feel when they were given more attention because they were new and so little? How did you help with your new brother or sister?
2. Socks felt neglected in the story. What are some of the responsibilities of owning a pet?
3. What changed Socks' attitude toward the baby at the end of the story?
1. Survey the students on the different types of pets they own. Transfer the information onto an Excel spreadsheet and click the chart wizard to create a class pet graph. Standard 3, Benchmark 1.
2. Have the students write a story about their pet or a pet they would like to own. Hold a Pet Day and allow students to bring a pet they or someone else owns to school. Standard 3, Benchmark 1.
3. Research about Beverly Cleary on the Internet at http://www.beverlycleary.com.
Take the quiz over the book Socks by clicking on the book link and then the Socks book jacket. Standard 1, Benchmark 4.