Dominic. William Steig
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1972; Awarded: 1975.
Synopsis: Dominic the dog is anxious to see the world. After tacking a note to his door, he begins a journey where he meets a wide assortment of characters. Dominic must escape the Doomsday Gang with the treasure he has found in order to carry on his great adventure.
Author Information: Third Book of Junior Authors, p. 277
Discussion Questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3.
1. Why did Dominic want to leave home? Have you ever wanted to run away?
2. What did Dominic discover on his journey?
3. What would you do with the treasure Dominic found?
1. Map the characters Dominic meets as he travels through the book. Standard 3, Benchmark 1.
2. Invite a piccolo player to visit and then have the children play kazoos. Standard 5, Benchmark 2.
3. Divide into groups, provide clues, and have a treasure hunt in the library or school. Standard 9, Benchmark 1.