The Grizzly. Annabel and Edgar Johnson.
Harper & Row, 1964; Awarded 1967.
Synopsis: A young boy and his estranged father find themselves united for the first time on a camping trip, by facing the terrifying threat of a grizzly bear.
Themes: Family life, Camping, Father and Sons, grizzly bears
Discussion questions: Standard 3, Benchmark 3
1. Should David have trusted his father from the beginning?
2. What were some of the dangers David faced and how did he handle them. What would you do in his situation?
3. If you were to write a sequel to this book, how do you think David and his father’s relationship continued?
1. Research different prints and marks left by animals. Make a small sand box and create a print and have classmates guess the animal. Standard 5, Benchmark 3
2. Research areas in the United States where people have been attacked by grizzly bears. Make a map, locate and mark these areas. Standard 3, Benchmark 4
3. Write a short story about your favorite camping trip or vacation and tell us something that went wrong and how you handled the situation. Standard 3, Benchmark 2